What's new

Apex Legends Devs Want it to 'Last 20 Years Like Counter-Strike'

Respawn Entertainment has high hopes for the future of Apex Legends, saying it hopes the game will last as long as classic PC shooter Counter-Strike.

In an interview with GameSpot, Apex Legends design director Evan Nikolich said the game could one day be relinquished by Respawn but kept going by fans out of pure love for it.

"There could be a point, and I don't know when the inflection point will be, where the game is just pushed off and then players are playing it because the hobby is so enjoyable, and there's such a coloured and deep history to Apex that people just keep playing it," said Nikolich.

"I often talk about how, one day, I want to have somebody teach their kid to play Apex. I played Counter-Strike in college, and that was 20 years ago. And now, people are teaching their kids to play Counter-Strike, teaching their kids to play their first MOBA when they played the original DotA mod on Warcraft 3. That's the vision. That's what we want to get to. It's the hobby you want to pass down to your children."

Having launched in February 2019, Apex Legends has just entered its fifth year on the market and its 16th competitive season, meaning its already a quarter of the way towards that two decade goal.

In our 9/10 review that was updated in 2021, IGN said: "Apex Legends' mix of exciting characters, excellent gunplay, and unmatched FPS movement keep it a consistently fresh thrill."

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer and acting UK news editor. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...