What's new

Alone in the Dark Reboot Delayed Once Again, This Time by Over Two Months to Avoid Crunch

The Alone in the Dark reboot is delayed from January 16 to March 20, 2024, publisher THQ Nordic has announced, citing the well-being of its developer.

In a statement, THQ Nordic said hitting the planned January release date would have put developer Pieces Interactive under immense stress during the holiday period.

“The year is coming to an end, and the Christmas holidays are upon us,” the publisher said. “However, until today, it didn't seem that way for Pieces Interactive, the team developing our upcoming survival-horror game, Alone in the Dark. With our initially planned release date in January 2024, the Christmas season would have been filled with stress and anything but a jolly time for them.

“Therefore, THQ Nordic and Pieces Interactive have decided to give Alone in the Dark a new release date: March 20, 2024.

“The well-being of the teams is a top priority, and both companies want to avoid any potential crunch over the Christmas holidays. Furthermore, THQ Nordic and Pieces Interactive want to ensure that the game not only meets but exceeds the expectations of the community, especially with the outstanding performances of Hollywood stars David and Jodie as the main protagonists.

“We understand that many people are eagerly awaiting the release, but your patience will be rewarded. We are thrilled to scare the living daylights out of you on March 20, 2024.”

This isn't the first time THQ Nordic has delayed Alone in the Dark. In September, the publisher delayed the reboot from October 25, 2023 to January 16, 2024 in a bid to avoid heavy hitters such as Insomniac’s PlayStation 5 exclusive Spider-Man 2.

Alone in the Dark will release for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X and S when it eventually comes out. In IGN’s Alone in the Dark preview, we said: “In all, the team and motivation seem right to deliver an exciting take on a classic of horror gaming. I'm looking forward to learning more about Alone in the Dark as we get closer to release, and you can bet I'm downloading the free prologue Grace in the Dark right now.”

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...