What's new

Vampire Survivors Is Getting an Animated TV Show

Story Kitchen is partnering with Vampire Survivors creator Luca "Poncle" Galante to bring the gothic world of his viral video game to television.

Vampire Survivors took Steam by storm when it launched in 2022, and a search is now said to be underway for a writer to adapt the indie hit into "a premium, animated television series." According to Deadline, the idea will be shopped to animated TV network buyers in the coming months.

The concept of the game is simple — stay alive as long as you can while an endless horde of enemies comes at you, and all you have to do is move around and not get hit while your weapons automatically attack. However, the fast-paced unlocking of its dozens of auto-firing weapons makes each roguelite survival run more interesting than the last.

"The most important thing in Vampire Survivors is the story, so it's a dream come true to see what started as a little indie game I made on my weekends come to life as an animated TV show!" Galante said in a statement. "It's also great to be partnering up with such experienced and talented people to make the show. I do wonder if they've realized that there isn't a single vampire in Vampire Survivors, though."

Story Kitchen was founded by John Wick creator Derek Kolstad, Sonic the Hedgehog producer Dmitri M. Johnson, and former APA agent and partner Mike Goldberg. The trio joined forces last year on a mission to collectively build, and expand, unique worlds and universes.

However, Johnson admitted that they were initially prepared to dismiss Vampire Survivors as "just another vampire game" but found themselves "hooked" after playing it for "hundreds of hours" and realizing that they "could not get enough" of the game's gothic world.

These same thoughts were echoed in IGN's review of the game, which awarded it a 7/10, stating that, "it may look extremely basic, but if you give Vampire Survivors' clever one-stick shooter idea a chance to sink its teeth into you it might not let go for a while."

Adele Ankers-Range is a freelance entertainment writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...