What's new

The Most Rewarding Romances in Baldur's Gate 3

The Baldur’s Gate series is no stranger to romance. Players could pursue a select handful of characters in Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn to pursue, and in some cases even start a family with them. So it’s no surprise that Baldur’s Gate 3 features a range of options for characters to romance. And while all of these options feature their own unique story that helps flesh out each of your major companion characters, some romances definitely feel more rewarding than others. Especially depending on what class or background (and in some cases Origin), you’ve selected.

In my case, my Human Wizard had a decent time with each of the companion characters in Baldur’s Gate 3 — with all options available to players regardless of race, class, background, or Origin. Your choice just adds a little bit of extra flavor to certain dialogue options.

Either way with several romance options, including a few hidden ones, we made a list of the most rewarding romances in Baldur’s Gate 3.

[Spoilers ahead for story and romance paths in Baldur’s Gate 3]

Most Rewarding Romances in Baldur’s Gate 3

Shadowheart

Shadowheart is, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the most rewarding romance options in Baldur’s Gate. With her own personal companion quest tied to one of the more significant early story segments, you get to explore the depth of her character as you traverse the Sharran Sanctuary and discover the fragmented moments of her past.

By respecting her boundaries, and letting her open up to you naturally (because a lot of it is respecting her boundaries), Shadowheart reveals a sense of vulnerability that feels more earnest than the other companions — and a lot more human as a result. Sitting and drinking wine with Shadowheart at the end of Act One in Baldur’s Gate 3 was probably one of my favorite companion moments in the game as we chatted amongst ourselves and stared up at the sky. And, again, because Shadowheart’s story is so interwoven with the major events (particularly what happens with the Nightsong), her backstory and romance feel significantly more fleshed out, and her growth feels earned. While the conclusion to her story may be lackluster to some depending on what choice you make at the Sharran Sanctuary, Shadowheart is perhaps one of the better written companions in the game overall. It’s the quiet that makes Shadowheart’s romance work, and all of the small, shared moments you have with her between the cacophony of events that transpire throughout the story.

Gale

This is probably personal bias speaking, but playing a Wizard made me appreciate Gale a lot more as a companion, and romance, than I would have otherwise in Baldur’s Gate 3. Our shared knowledge of the Weave (and my own external knowledge of The Forgotten Realms) helped craft more intimate moments between myself and Gale, as we quite literally created magic together. Our conversations were densely filled and rich with humor. As the game progressed and Gale opened up to me, I found a vulnerability there as he shared exactly why he had a magic item eating blackhole in his chest.

While he may not be as complex as Astarion or Shadowheart since he wears his heart on his sleeve, Gale’s romance and companionship is built on comfort, and on a shared connection with the fabric of everything that pulls the Realms together. There was one instance where the player and Gale sit together and watch as the Weave ripples through the sky, and you talk about magic and the mission Mystra has tasked Gale because of his hubris, that is horribly bittersweet, but really helps ground the character. Overall, it helps Gale feel fully realized, as for all of his confidence and charm, he’s just a man who’s made a mistake and now has to come to grips with that, with you there as his support. Because of all of these factors, Gale was the first character I romanced in Baldur’s Gate 3, and I think my experience was better for it.

Astarion

It really isn’t much of a surprise that Astarion would make it onto any list about rewarding or worthwhile romances. He’s a vampire with a terrible streak of arrogance, and a tragic backstory. He’s flirtatious and fun, but probably one of the most complex companions and romances in Baldur’s Gate 3. Astarion is a survivor in every sense of the word, and while he loves to relish in the pain of others or even engage in duplicitous acts, this all becomes clear as you grow closer to him.

His is a journey of recovery, and one you take with him as he hunts down his maker, the vampire lord Cazador. There are specific points in Astarion’s journey that you think you may have figured out in terms of interaction, but the more you get to know him, the more you understand that he wants compassion — he needs it, and he wants to experience that with you. While almost all of his endings are really bittersweet, perhaps the most out of any character you romance, his journey feels full depending on how you choose to end his relationship with his creator.

Wyll

Probably the most surprising of the romance options, Wyll was a character I initially had very little interest in, even as a companion. There’s a lot going on with him — he’s a folk hero, the Blade of the Sword Coast, the son of a Lord of Baldur’s Gate, and a man stuck in a pact with a malicious demon. The character writing for Wyll felt fairly weak at first, and his character arc progresses far too rapidly if he’s introduced to your party near the end of Act One, which can be super jarring.

I’m not a big fan of NPCs or companions that feel extraordinary, and I sort of liked how everyone in the first two Baldur’s Gate games were more or less just people. But it was encountering Wyll dancing at camp that really won me over. Because of my own Noble background, we shared some kind of commonality which helped ease our initial conversation, and when it came time to dance (I thankfully rolled my Performance check), it was actually really sweet. I was surprised at just how romantic Wyll was, as I was immediately interested in pursuing him.

But! He held me off, declaring that he wanted our love to rival that of tales told in bard songs. He’s stock and standard as they come, with an overloaded backstory, but Wyll really is that romantic, and he definitely fulfills the fantasy of a kind of courtship only told in fairytales. I wasn’t sure if I would like Wyll at all, but those moments completely changed my mind, and I let myself be wrapped up in that fantasy, even while fighting for the freedom of his soul and the future of Baldur’s Gate.

Karlach

Much like Wyll, Karlach has a lot going on. She’s a Tiefling soldier, previously employed by Enver Gortash before she was sold to a greater demonic force, who acts in direct opposition to Wyll's patron. Their stories are extremely intertwined, so attempting to soothe one or the other can sometimes come at a cost.

But Karlach is a great companion, and romance, once you are able to quite literally mend her heart with Infernal Iron. She’s brash and foulmouthed, and probably the most relaxed of the companions that can accompany you. Karlach provides a certain kind of levity as a result, so long as you’re not talking about Gortash. Much like Shadowheart, you need to earn your more intimate moments of interaction with her through quest completion, this being the repairing of her heart. Karlach can’t touch you without burning you, and more than anything she just wants to feel another person, completely touch starved for years on end. And there’s something really relatable about that, so when you finally get to repairing her heart and allowing her to just be with you, it feels well earned. It feels good to make Karlach happy, because she wants to make you happy too.

These are our picks for the most rewarding romances in Baldur’s Gate 3. If you’re pursuing the path of love, who’s your romantic interest? Let us know in the comments below.

Continue reading...