What's new

Suicide Squad Planning 'Hundreds' of Possible Build Combinations Along With Major Post-Launch Support

Rocksteady Studios is teasing major post-launch support for Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League while explaining how its RPG gameplay works in greater detail.

Information on the game’s core elements comes from Game Director Axel Rydby, who clarified the project’s features and offerings in a post in its Discord server. When one fan asked about build possibilities for Task Force X team members like Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang, Deadshot, and King Shark, Rocksteady teased “hundreds” of possible build combinations.

“Well, first of all, when we designed the game, player choice and player freedom was one of our core design philosophies," Rydby said. "We really want you to feel like you can make each character your own, and build it to suit your playstyle. But if you take the leap and really play into the gear, you can find truly crazy powerful combinations.”

Rydby continued, explaining that, while players will start with enough possible combinations to kill a superhero, post-launch content will help shake things up even more.

“At launch, we’re looking at hundreds of possible combinations and permutations for builds across our four characters, and this is something we’re adding A LOT to in post launch. We’re not supposed to talk about that today though, but I’m really excited for you all to see the cool stuff we’ve got cooking.”

Rocksteady names a few “core parts” of builds that will allow players to customize their playstyle, including things like gear and eight loadout slots. Things like Afflictions, meanwhile, can then be applied to melee weapons and grenades, creating effects, such as Deep Freeze and Diablo Blaze, based on other DC characters.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League players can also toy with Talent Trees and traversal mechanics, which allow players to make the most of their villain’s abilities. Rocksteady seems confident that fans will have plenty of options when it comes to how they choose to build each character. Rydby’s entire explanation can be seen below:

Though it seems Rocksteady isn’t interested in referring to Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League as a live-service game, the team has at least confirmed that players can expect post-launch offerings to include seasonal updates, new playable characters, new story content, cosmetic items, and more. The Batman: Arkham Asylum studio’s latest won’t arrive for a few more weeks, though a few select players did get their hands on it late last year. Rocksteady recently lifted an NDA tied to that experience, allowing players to openly share their thoughts.

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League launches for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X | S on February 2. We published our Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League preview earlier this week but did not enjoy our time with what it offered. At the time, we said, “Not only is Rocksteady one of my favorite developers, but this genre is one I’ve spent far too much time in across Destiny, Anthem, and yes… even Marvel’s Avengers. But while there is a story here that makes me wonder where the heck all this is going, I left the preview event less optimistic than when I came in.”

Michael Cripe is a freelance contributor with IGN. He started writing in the industry in 2017 and is best known for his work at outlets such as The Pitch, The Escapist, OnlySP, and Gameranx.

Be sure to give him a follow on Twitter @MikeCripe.

Continue reading...