What's new

Street Fighter Pro, Fighting Game Community Icon Michael 'BrolyLegs' Begum Dies at 35

Street Fighter pro and legendary fighting game community (FGC) member Michael "BrolyLegs" Begum has died at the age of 35.

Begum’s family shared news of his passing with a statement on X/Twitter. They ask fans to share memories and remember the impact he had on the FGC. Begum got his start as a competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee player, but is best known for his work as a Chun-Li player in Capcom’s Street Fighter series.

“On behalf of the family of Michael Phillip Begum, ‘Brolylegs', we want to inform friends, and fans around the world that Mike has passed on," reads the family statement. "This sudden loss is devastating to us all. The family needs time to gain more information on his passing and time to grieve through this unbearable pain and loss. He survives through his loving mother Josefina, and siblings Jonathan and Karin Begum.”

The letter continues: “In the meantime, please share memories and stories of his greatness. He was one of a kind and always will be the heart of our family. He won’t be forgotten and to all those he inspired, he lives on through you. He loved what he did and made his mark on the world through the best way he knew how. Living life to its fullest every day and taking it on his own terms. His love of competition is unmatched and the joy he brought to us all can never be replicated. He was a fighter in so many more ways than one. He was extraordinary, irreplaceable, the most dedicated man you could ever meet and we were lucky to be apart of his life. A legend today, tomorrow, and forever. We love you Broly and may you rest in peace in heaven.”

I will miss my son Mike so very much. My heart is broken. And in behalf of his Brother Jonathan and his sister Karin Begum thank you for your condolences world wide.

— BrolyFNLegs (@Brolylegs) March 20, 2024

Begum was born with a bone and muscle deficiency called arthrogryposis, leaving him unable to move his arms and legs. Still, he learned to play video games at a young age and eventually became a leading member of the FGC as well as an important partner with the AbleGamers Foundation. In addition to his time in the competitive scene, Begum coached other players who were hoping to improve their skills.

In a short documentary posted to the official Street Fighter YouTube channel in 2016, Begum spoke about his disability and what drove him to become one of the best.

“I want to be a good symbol to other players,” he said at the time. “I want to be something that they can aspire to when they have trouble. ‘Hey I can’t hit this combo,’ or maybe ‘I have problems playing on the right side or this side,’ I’m like, ‘Hey, if I can do it, man. You can do it.”

Since word of Begum’s passing was shared, social media has flooded with posts from fans and other members of the FGC. Many of them mention his kindness, calling him an inspiration and one of the most iconic members of the community ever.

“Jesus, man.. I didn't know BrolyLegs personally, but I remember watching him play SF4 for the first time and I thought it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen,” X/Twitter user @GhostFrom3S said. “Truly a huge inspiration to so many people.”

“We've only had a few interactions, but they were all fun and showed his kindness as a person,” @tkn0801 said. “I did not expect this to happen anytime soon and it absolutely breaks my heart Rest in peace Brolylegs.”

This is one of the most crushing losses for the FGC. Mike “BrolyLegs” Begum has been one of the most positive forces and greatest inspirations in the FGC. Few people have had the self awareness and joy he did, and to say he will be missed is an understatement. RIP BrolyLegs. https://t.co/fJPgL5PNIj pic.twitter.com/7E5DRlcLdI

— James Chen @ Red Bull Kumite NY (@jchensor) March 19, 2024
BrolyLegs was the most inspirational FGC story. The shining example, despite all odds & circumstance, that passion could shine bright & skill will reach the surface despite physical disability. His story will never not be a guidance to anyone who loves fighting games. RIP https://t.co/tWC2hdpHx4

— Maximilian Dood (@maximilian_) March 19, 2024
Our matches would always go down to the wire. It was so bad that my Street Fighter League team tried to make sure Broly and I didn't cross paths in the league. That just showed how much of a threat he was regardless of his condition. RIP BrolyLegs 🫡 pic.twitter.com/OhuEau1n62

— Du Dang (@NuckleDuDang) March 20, 2024

Michael Cripe is a freelance contributor with IGN. He started writing in the industry in 2017 and is best known for his work at outlets such as The Pitch, The Escapist, OnlySP, and Gameranx.

Be sure to give him a follow on Twitter @MikeCripe.

Continue reading...