What's new

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake Reportedly Still Alive

Amid continued silence from embattled games company Embracer about the status of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake, developer Saber Interactive is reportedly still soldiering on with the project in some capacity.

The KOTOR Remake was thought dead after Embracer had Saber Interactive, the developer working on the recently delayed Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine 2, take over following significant trouble at original developer Aspyr.

Bloomberg reporter and reputable insider Jason Schreier posted on X/Twitter (below) to say Saber Interactive is still working on the game, although question marks remain over whether it will ever actually come out, and if it does, what sort of game it will be.

Can't say whether the KOTOR Remake will ever actually come out, but yes, two people from Saber Interactive tell me they're still on it, despite recent rumors that nobody is working on the game. (Saber took the project from Aspyr last year, as Bloomberg reported then) https://t.co/prNTT6iVAy

— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) November 22, 2023

The Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake was announced in 2021 as a PlayStation-published game, sparking excitement from fans of the original, much-loved RPG. But we’ve heard little since, save reports of ongoing struggles with the game. Last year, development on the KOTOR remake was reportedly paused indefinitely after disappointment over progress made. A demo built by Aspyr apparently failed to impress when shown to Lucasfilm and Sony, which led to development being put on hold. The remake’s art director Brad Prince and design director Jason Minor subsequently left the project.

Aspyr had worked on the KOTOR remake for three years before it was finally announced in Sony’s 2021 PlayStation Showcase, where it was revealed that original voice actor Jennifer Hale would be returning as Bastila Shan.

At the time, the KOTOR remake was set to be released as a PC and PlayStation 5 console exclusive and was touted as a full remake developed from the ground up. Originally developed by BioWare, Knights of the Old Republic has consistently been regarded as one of the best Star Wars video games and western RPGs.

Earlier this month, Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors refused to answer a question about the KOTOR remake during a financial presentation, saying: “I notice that anything I say to this becomes a headline, so that is my only comment."

Embracer has refused to comment on the issue despite multiple requests from IGN ever since it emerged the KOTOR remake had encountered development trouble.

According to reports, Aspyr had targeted a late 2022 release date for the remake but insiders suggested 2025 was a more realistic target. It’s now even more unclear how this project will continue.

In September, there was renewed concern for the status of the KOTOR remake after fans spotted trailers and other promotional material were pulled from Sony’s channels. Sony issued a statement in response insisting it had to do with music licensing expiring.

Embracer is currently embroiled in a significant restructuring process that has seen over 900 staff lose their jobs. Saints Row studio Volition has closed down, and Borderlands developer Gearbox is reportedly up for sale. More layoffs are expected.

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...