What's new

Returnal Director Harry Krueger to Leave PlayStation Studio Housemarque After 14 Years

Housemarque’s Harry Krueger, who is best-known for serving as game director for trippy sci-fi shooter Returnal, is leaving the studio after 14 years.

Housemarque announced the news in a post on its website and sends the creative off with well-wishes. Krueger led the team through development of the PS5 game but also has credits for other titles, such as Outland, Resogun, and Nex Machina.

Krueger shared a statement regarding his exit, saying that he has been “incredibly fortunate to work on one dream project after another, and had the privilege of working alongside some truly talented and
wonderful people along the way.”

“It's been an honor to accompany Housemarque on this journey, witnessing our growth from our smaller arcade-inspired titles to the magnificent heights we reached with Returnal,” Krueger said. “We really shook
the pillars of heaven together, and I will forever be proud of all the amazing things we’ve accomplished as a studio.

"Departing from Housemarque was a very difficult decision for me, but I’m leaving the company with nothing but deep gratitude for the past, and a glowing optimism for the future — with an exciting new project in the works, a fantastic team that’s stronger than ever, and the continuous support of Sony and PlayStation Studios, I know that Housemarque’s brightest chapter has yet to be written.”

Krueger did not share a specific reason regarding his decision to leave Housemarque. His departure from the PlayStation studio marks a significant change to its staff lineup, but the crew isn’t letting the change bog down its plans. The developer is currently preparing for its “new big project,” adding that there is an “air of appreciation coupled with eagerness for the promising future ahead.”

"Throughout Harry's tenure, we've seen the ‘death of Arcade’, and also achieved growth milestones we once only dreamed of,” Housemarque general manager and co-founder Ilari Kuittinen added. “Harry's passion and
direction have been vital in sculpting our studio's trajectory to the current scale. The rebirth of ‘Arcade’, defined by Returnal, speaks volumes of his impact and vision, and is a great point for future leaders to take over and keep improving upon.”

Sony acquired Housemarque in June 2021, just months after the release of Returnal. In our review, we called the shooter “an incredible roguelike, and one of Housemarque’s best games to date.”

Last year, Kuittinen teased that the studio’s next game will be a new IP. No other details about the project have been revealed yet.

Michael Cripe is a freelance contributor with IGN. He started writing in the industry in 2017 and is best known for his work at outlets such as The Pitch, The Escapist, OnlySP, and Gameranx.

Be sure to give him a follow on Twitter @MikeCripe.

Continue reading...