What's new

Nier Series Director, Producer, and Composer Start New Project: 'It Might be Nier, It Might Not Be Nier'

The director, producer, and composer of Square Enix's beloved Nier series have teamed up for a new project, but are refusing to say whether it's a Nier game or not.

Speaking to Famitsu and translated by Gematsu, Square Enix executive officer and Nier series producer Yosuke Saito teased the upcoming project but still didn't give fans a concrete answer on whether they should expect Nier 3.

"I’ve been talking about wanting to do something with [series director Yoko Taro] and [series composer Keiichi Okabe] for some time now," Saito said. "I’ll have something a bit more put together to say in the not too distant future, so please stay tuned." He than laughed: "It might be Nier, it might not be Nier. That’s about all I can say for now.”

"It might be Nier, it might not be Nier. That’s about all I can say for now.

Nier: Automata arrived in February 2017 and, while fans' appetites were somewhat satiated with the Nier Replicant remake of the original game in 2021, Square Enix has said nothing concrete about a full sequel.

Hope has gone back and forward too. Saito said in November 2023 that Square Enix will definitely make another Nier at some point in Yoko's lifetime but it won't be soon as the pair are working on a separate project. But a few months later in March 2024, Taro seemingly teased a third game through a subtle concert message.

Saito told Famitsu in this latest interview he's working on "various things", however, so perhaps there's a chance the new project is just one of those and Nier 3 is another.

"I’m doing various things with the idea of creating something that does not yet exist," he said. "I can’t devote my time to that fully, so most of it has been left to the staff, but it’s turning into something quite interesting. I’m looking forward to the day we can announce it."

Nier: Automata was a standout success for Square Enix thanks to strong critical reception and sales to match. In our 8/10 review, IGN said: "Nier: Automata is a great action role-playing game filled with beautiful locations and zany, fun-filled combat."

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...