What's new

Midnight Suns Director Reacts to James Gunn's DCU Games Plan: 'This Would Have Been a Nightmare'

James Gunn and Peter Safran have some pretty big plans for connecting the DC Universe (DCU), including video games. But at least one developer is skeptical of this approach.

Reacting to the news that Gunn and Safran plan to work games into the overall plan for the DCU, Firaxis Games designer Jake Solomon tweeted, "This would have been a nightmare for us on Midnight Suns. I understand the desire (I think) but movies and games are so, so different. And the pressure this puts on the amazing voice actors in the games space? Different universes. And that's how they should/will stay."

This would have been a nightmare for us on Midnight Suns. I understand the desire (I think) but movies and games are so, so different. And the pressure this puts on the amazing voice actors in the games space? Different universes. And that’s how they should/will stay. https://t.co/grKQGkhCsl

— Jake Solomon (@SolomonJake) February 1, 2023

Solomon was co-director on Marvel's Midnight Suns, which incorporated many stylistic elements from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) but ultimately stood apart from it.

This approach had a number of benefits for Marvel's Midnight Suns' development team, including access to characters such as Venom and greater creative freedom over the story. In various conversations over the years, more than a few developers have expressed frustration with the strict restrictions imposed by Star Wars, which counts games among its official canon.

One way or another, though, the new DCU will seek to incorporate games, whatever that ultimately looks like. In the meantime, Midnight Suns has been well-received, earning positive word-of-mouth and strong reviews.

"With Marvel’s Midnight Suns, Firaxis has put itself in the league of RPG developers like BioWare, Obsidian, Bethesda, and Larian," we wrote in our review. "Its innovative turn-based hero combat system takes a bit of time to get going, but once it does it makes excellent use of card game mechanics to keep battles fresh, evolving, and unpredictable over the course of an epic-length campaign – bashing enemies into things for increased damage is endlessly entertaining."

Marvel's Midnight Suns is available now on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S. As for the DCU, which was formally unveiled earlier this week, you can check out everything announced right here.

Kat Bailey is a Senior News Editor at IGN as well as co-host of Nintendo Voice Chat. Have a tip? Send her a DM at @the_katbot.

Continue reading...