Lots of Square Enix Staff Want to Remake Final Fantasy 6

A remake of Final Fantasy 6 is a hot topic within the walls of Square Enix as many members of its development teams are eager to make it.

Final Fantasy 6 director Yoshinori Kitase, who's now a vice president, member of the board, and executive officer at Square Enix, discussed the possibility of a remake during a video on the publisher's YouTube channel.

"I think Final Fantasy 6 Remake would be difficult," Kitase said, as translated by Genki on Twitter (below) and verified by IGN.

"There are many Final Fantasy 6 fans inside the company and they often ask me: 'when are we making six?'"

"Final Fantasy 7 Remake is not yet finished so I am not able to think about it, but for Final Fantasy 6, there are many Final Fantasy 6 fans inside the company and they often ask me: 'when are we making six?' "

The difficulty behind remaking Final Fantasy 6 was elaborated on by Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi, who said the original game's pixel art and 2D format would make it much more complicated to redo, demanding a complete overhaul of the story and graphics.

Despite his grievances, it appears even Sakaguchi is eager for the remake, asking Kitase: "Won't you release it a little sooner?"

The same factors affecting a remake of Final Fantasy 6 could seemingly be applied to the ongoing Final Fantasy 7 Remake, however, as this now trilogy of games is a far cry from what the original Final Fantasy 7 was on the PlayStation.

The game's story, world, quests, and practically everything else in the remake were changed to create a modern take, so Square Enix certainly wasn't concerned with having to completely revamp the original in this case.

That will perhaps give hope to fans wanting a remake of Final Fantasy 6, which is considered by many to be one of the best in the franchise. The second part of Final Fantasy 7 Remake, subtitled Rebirth, will launch this winter with the third game already in development too.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...