SameTeem
Search titles only
By:
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Search
Search titles only
By:
Home
Forums
Forums
New posts
Search forums
What's new
What's new
Featured content
Media
Resources
Free TeamSpeak Channel
TeamSpeak
TeamSpeak
Vote
Rank System
Make a Channel
Free Channel Information
Servers
Sourcebans
New posts
SameTeem
Home
Forums
New posts
Search forums
What's new
Featured content
Media
Resources
Free TeamSpeak Channel
TeamSpeak
Vote
Rank System
Make a Channel
Free Channel Information
Servers
Sourcebans
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Search
Search titles only
By:
New posts
Search forums
Menu
Log in
Register
Navigation
Install the app
Install
More options
Contact us
Close Menu
Download TeamSpeak Today
Proudly sponsored by TeamSpeak
Forums
News and Announcements
Gaming News
'I Did Not Walk Away': Former Assassin's Creed Boss Says 'Ubisoft Asked Me to Step Aside' After 15 Years Working on the Franchise
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Admin" data-source="post: 68911" data-attributes="member: 1"><p>Former Assassin's Creed boss Marc-Alexis Côté has made clear that his shock exit from Ubisoft was not his decision.</p><p></p><p></p><p>In a post on <a href="https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7384672277055012864/" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a>, Côté said he bore "no resentment," but wanted to make clear to former colleagues and fans that he had not quit the Assassin's Creed franchise after 15 years of his own free will.</p><p></p><p>Côté's departure, <a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/assassins-creed-franchise-boss-departs-ubisoft" target="_blank">announced earlier this week</a>, came as a surprise following the successful launch of <a href="https://www.ign.com/games/assassins-creed-shadows" target="_blank">Assassin's Creed Shadows</a>, one of a list of games Côté previously helped announce as part of a big new era for the franchise.</p><p></p><p></p><p>On Tuesday this week, Ubisoft staff were told Côté was leaving via an internal email, seen by IGN, that gave little explanation for his departure. Instead, it stated that <a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/embattled-ubisoft-forms-subsidiary-for-ips-like-assassins-creed-far-cry-and-rainbow-six-with-the-help-of-116-billion-tencent-investment" target="_blank">Vantage Studios, the new Tencent-backed business unit overseeing Assassin's Creed</a>, needed a leadership team "aligned" with its core goals.</p><p></p><p>IGN previously reported that Côté was offered, but declined, another role within Vantage Studios' leadership, something Côté's new statement also mentions.</p><p></p><p>"Many of you have expressed surprise that I would choose to leave Assassin’s Creed after so many years, especially given the passion I still hold for it," Côté wrote last night. "The truth is simple: I did not make that choice.</p><p></p><p>"Ubisoft decided to transfer the leadership of the Assassin’s Creed franchise to someone closer to its new organizational structure. A different position was mentioned, but it did not carry the same scope, mandate, or continuity with the work I had been entrusted with in recent years.</p><p></p><p></p><p>"I want to be clear that I hold no resentment," Côté continued. "Ubisoft has been my home for all my professional life, and I will always be grateful for the people, the projects, and the belief that together we could create worlds that inspire millions. But I also owe it to my teams, past and present, to say this plainly: I did not walk away. I stayed at my post until Ubisoft asked me to step aside.</p><p></p><p>"As someone who grew up inspired by Star Trek (TNG!), in the later years of my career I came to see myself as the captain of the Assassin's Creed ship, someone who leaves only once every soul on board is safe. And that is exactly what I have done for as long as I could."</p><p></p><p>Côté joined Ubisoft in 2005 as a software engineer, and began working on Assassin's Creed series in time for Brotherhood. Subsequent projects saw Côté take on increasingly senior roles for Assassin's Creed 3, Black Flag DLC Freedom Cry, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and then Assassin's Creed Odyssey, for which he served as senior producer.</p><p></p><p></p><p>In March 2022, as Ubisoft sought to re-establish the series under a more singular vision, Côté stepped up to lead overall development. It was Côté who laid out plans for a string of Assassin's Creed projects (including Shadows, the upcoming witchcraft-focused Assassin's Creed Hexe and a fresh multiplayer project), and Côté who spoke out last December to defend the series and its developers amid a firestorm of discourse surrounding Assassin's Creed Shadows.</p><p></p><p>Ubisoft is expected to hire a new Assassin's Creed franchise boss in the coming months, ahead of a busy 2026 filled with further additions to Shadows, and the <a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/stop-removing-the-modern-day-assassins-creed-fans-react-as-black-flag-remake-reportedly-cuts-everything-outside-the-animus" target="_blank">highly-anticipated reveal of a Black Flag remake</a>.</p><p></p><p></p><p><em>Image credit: Andrej Ivanov/AFP via Getty Images.</em></p><p><em></em></p><p><em>Tom Phillips is IGN's News Editor. You can reach Tom at <a href="mailto:tom_phillips@ign.com">tom_phillips@ign.com</a> or find him on Bluesky </em><a href="https://bsky.app/profile/tomphillipseg.bsky.social" target="_blank">@tomphillipseg.bsky.social</a></p><p></p><p><a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/i-did-not-walk-away-former-assassins-creed-boss-says-ubisoft-asked-me-to-step-aside-after-15-years-working-on-the-franchise" target="_blank">Continue reading...</a></p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Admin, post: 68911, member: 1"] Former Assassin's Creed boss Marc-Alexis Côté has made clear that his shock exit from Ubisoft was not his decision. In a post on [URL='https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7384672277055012864/']LinkedIn[/URL], Côté said he bore "no resentment," but wanted to make clear to former colleagues and fans that he had not quit the Assassin's Creed franchise after 15 years of his own free will. Côté's departure, [URL='https://www.ign.com/articles/assassins-creed-franchise-boss-departs-ubisoft']announced earlier this week[/URL], came as a surprise following the successful launch of [URL='https://www.ign.com/games/assassins-creed-shadows']Assassin's Creed Shadows[/URL], one of a list of games Côté previously helped announce as part of a big new era for the franchise. On Tuesday this week, Ubisoft staff were told Côté was leaving via an internal email, seen by IGN, that gave little explanation for his departure. Instead, it stated that [URL='https://www.ign.com/articles/embattled-ubisoft-forms-subsidiary-for-ips-like-assassins-creed-far-cry-and-rainbow-six-with-the-help-of-116-billion-tencent-investment']Vantage Studios, the new Tencent-backed business unit overseeing Assassin's Creed[/URL], needed a leadership team "aligned" with its core goals. IGN previously reported that Côté was offered, but declined, another role within Vantage Studios' leadership, something Côté's new statement also mentions. "Many of you have expressed surprise that I would choose to leave Assassin’s Creed after so many years, especially given the passion I still hold for it," Côté wrote last night. "The truth is simple: I did not make that choice. "Ubisoft decided to transfer the leadership of the Assassin’s Creed franchise to someone closer to its new organizational structure. A different position was mentioned, but it did not carry the same scope, mandate, or continuity with the work I had been entrusted with in recent years. "I want to be clear that I hold no resentment," Côté continued. "Ubisoft has been my home for all my professional life, and I will always be grateful for the people, the projects, and the belief that together we could create worlds that inspire millions. But I also owe it to my teams, past and present, to say this plainly: I did not walk away. I stayed at my post until Ubisoft asked me to step aside. "As someone who grew up inspired by Star Trek (TNG!), in the later years of my career I came to see myself as the captain of the Assassin's Creed ship, someone who leaves only once every soul on board is safe. And that is exactly what I have done for as long as I could." Côté joined Ubisoft in 2005 as a software engineer, and began working on Assassin's Creed series in time for Brotherhood. Subsequent projects saw Côté take on increasingly senior roles for Assassin's Creed 3, Black Flag DLC Freedom Cry, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and then Assassin's Creed Odyssey, for which he served as senior producer. In March 2022, as Ubisoft sought to re-establish the series under a more singular vision, Côté stepped up to lead overall development. It was Côté who laid out plans for a string of Assassin's Creed projects (including Shadows, the upcoming witchcraft-focused Assassin's Creed Hexe and a fresh multiplayer project), and Côté who spoke out last December to defend the series and its developers amid a firestorm of discourse surrounding Assassin's Creed Shadows. Ubisoft is expected to hire a new Assassin's Creed franchise boss in the coming months, ahead of a busy 2026 filled with further additions to Shadows, and the [URL='https://www.ign.com/articles/stop-removing-the-modern-day-assassins-creed-fans-react-as-black-flag-remake-reportedly-cuts-everything-outside-the-animus']highly-anticipated reveal of a Black Flag remake[/URL]. [I]Image credit: Andrej Ivanov/AFP via Getty Images. Tom Phillips is IGN's News Editor. You can reach Tom at [email]tom_phillips@ign.com[/email] or find him on Bluesky [/I][URL='https://bsky.app/profile/tomphillipseg.bsky.social']@tomphillipseg.bsky.social[/URL] [url="https://www.ign.com/articles/i-did-not-walk-away-former-assassins-creed-boss-says-ubisoft-asked-me-to-step-aside-after-15-years-working-on-the-franchise"]Continue reading...[/url] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Post reply
Forums
News and Announcements
Gaming News
'I Did Not Walk Away': Former Assassin's Creed Boss Says 'Ubisoft Asked Me to Step Aside' After 15 Years Working on the Franchise
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top