What's new

Hideo Kojima Rewrote Death Stranding 2 After the COVID-19 Pandemic

To say the COVID-19 pandemic affected Hideo Kojima's writing of Death Stranding 2 would be an understatement.

The Kojima Productions founder officially unveiled the sequel at tonight's Game Awards, and after showing the first look, stayed on stage for a while to answer some questions from host Geoff Keighley.

“I had the story written before the pandemic, but after experiencing the pandemic, I rewrote the whole thing from scratch," he told Keighley after being asked how the pandemic affected the game. "I also didn’t want to predict any more future, so I rewrote it.”

It's true that Kojima has earned a somewhat infamous reputation for predicting the future with his games; Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was far ahead of its time in portraying how quickly misinformation can spread online. And the first Death Stranding's themes of loneliness had some eerie parallels to the COVID-19 lockdown that would be put into place just months after its 2019 release. So, one might understand if Kojima wanted to put away the crystal ball for a while.

Otherwise, Kojima remained pretty tight-lipped about the sequel. "I put a lot of things inside [the trailer] so I want you guys to talk about it and find details in it," he teased.

For everything announced at tonight's Game Awards, check out a full round-up here.

Continue reading...