What's new

Hatsune Miku Fans Left Reeling as Virtual Pop Star Appears on Screen, Not as a Hologram

Hatsune Miku's concert tour has faced backlash after the virtual pop star appeared on a screen instead of as a hologram to perform her set.

The Miku Expo 2024 North America tour kicked off at the Thunderbird Arena in Vancouver, Canada, on April 4 but was instantly met with criticism, as concert-goers took to social media platforms such as X/Twitter and TikTok to express their anger and disappointment over the underwhelming experience of the show.

A lot of people had seemingly expected the world-famous Vocaloid star to step out on stage in her hologram form to sing for the crowd, typical of the character's other events and appearances, so those ticket-holders were shocked to learn that they had gathered together to watch Miku perform on a large flat-screen TV.

Videos from the event surfaced online, showing the pop idol on a screen in the center of a stage, surrounded by flashing lights and a live band belting out the music. Some fans shared their "expectation vs. reality" comparisons, while others demonstrated how easy it is to achieve a hologram effect with limited resources.

#MIKUEXPO2024 heres how it looked if anyone was curious pic.twitter.com/olr0v51uOS

— C:\CHISEI\⭐️ (@balisonqs) April 7, 2024
Y’all…people paid 200-500 dollars for this lmfaooo. I’m sorry this is so pathetic. Y’all paid to watch tv together? #MIKUEXPO #MIKUEXPO2024 pic.twitter.com/fYlfH1p8XY

— anoceangoddess (@Anoceangoddesss) April 5, 2024
Help, I already bought my tickets 💀 #MIKUEXPO2024 pic.twitter.com/BgHOs8jfN0

— fukustar 🌟 フォーチュンスター (@fukustar_) April 6, 2024
TW // MIKU EXPO SPOILER (kinda)

i'm sorry but if THIS is the setup for all of Miku Expo 2024 than you definitely failed the fans. Theres no way you overcharged tickets to put on a performance with an LED screen. Like all that money for THIS?? 🤦‍♂️#MIKUEXPO2024 #mikuexpo pic.twitter.com/BPi9y4KuOE

— Aeøn (@KaiusMaddax) April 5, 2024
I thought I’d showcase my opinion on Vancouver, it’s a disaster, how miku concerts should be done a huge hologram that showcases millions of emotions with the band players next to her with millions of flashing lights not a black full screen where you can barely see anything pic.twitter.com/xsdRYbxg2R

— Hatsune Miku (@HatsuneMikuFort) April 6, 2024
With the current state of MIKU EXPO 24, I took it upon myself to create my own Miku expo cuz it’s most likely gonna be the same for Dallas #MIKUEXPO2024 pic.twitter.com/CjmsBaXSsU

— JessPezz (@Melikebacon96) April 8, 2024
My wife was so upset about the LED screen (since it was my first time experiencing Miku live) she made an at-home hologram set up. Crazy that she was able to outdo the expo set up with 1 hour at home and an $80 projector. #MIKUEXPO2024 pic.twitter.com/oD55J8gGFY

— tofumon (@willie_wanderer) April 9, 2024
show this to whoever organised #MIKUEXPO2024 pic.twitter.com/hiWnmImEOD

— dazai r34 real (@iwantdazaiinme) April 6, 2024

The official website for the latest leg of the Miku Expo doesn't clearly state how the virtual singer would appear at the event, though it does prohibit the use of LED lights, flashlights, or any battery-powered glow sticks that are not official tour merchandise "because they may interfere with the concert performance."

Instead of using glow sticks, some have used their words to shine a light on the experience that Miku fans can expect from the concert. A Change.org petition was set up shortly after the opening show as people demanded refunds because they were not forewarned about it being on a TV, and "not the signature, iconic hologram."

While event organisers do not seem to have issued any official response yet, the criticism from fans has certainly captured the attention of the internet, more than a month after another event debacle stirred up a storm, as the now-notorious Willy Wonka-themed experience garnered similar heavy backlash and online reaction.

Adele Ankers-Range is a freelance entertainment writer for IGN. You can follow her on X/Twitter @AdeleAnkers.

Cover image credit: hatahiro.

Continue reading...