What's new

Halp!!, putting up own personal website/dropbox thing

Harv0kz

Level 34
Feb 18, 2011
Credits
I need help on this, and im not familiar with doing it, so forgive me if i ask a noob question, maybe this is a noob question

How do i publish html webpages made using Notepad (or similar program) to the internet??????????

All i know is that you need a domain at which to post this stuff and you need to do something called ftp to ge the files onto the domain, after this, im just lost. And yes i used google, but i failed

The Noodle

Level 48
Aug 1, 2010
Credits
Okay, firstly there are a few things you need to understand about web hosting. You have your domain name (such as bowlofnoodles.net) and then you have your host. Your host is where the files that make up your website actually live, the domain is simply a pointer, an easy way for a human to remember where a file is hosted. Lets use this site as an example. When you type the URL your computer goes and looks for that address in a big list of addresses (DNS). Think of it sorta like a street directory, you may know the where you want to go but not how to get there. The DNS will tell your computer where your files are located.

FTP stands for file transfer protocol, its basically a way to transfer files from one computer to another and is a common way to transfer files from your own computer to a website host. So when you get a host, whether paid or free, chances are they'll give you an ftp account, you use this to log in to their server from the ftp program on your computer and upload files. These are the files other computers can then look up when they type in your address. Chuck me a pm if you want me to give you webspace (hosting) on one of our servers.

One important note, you can't create a website just by typing what you want in notepad using plaintext. ie

Code:
hey this is my site and stuff, here's some things for you to look at....

Because internet browsers (internet explorer, chrome, firefox) don't know how to interpret such a file. Instead you need to use a coding language. The simplest language to learn for very basic stuff would probably be html. If you wanted to display the above text on a website using html you'd need to type the following.

HTML:
<html>

<body>

<h1>Hey this is my site</h1>

and here's some things for you to look at...</p>

</body>

</html>

There are lots of other languages such as php but you really need to learn the basics of html first before moving on to anything else.

I noticed you said you were going to use notepad to write the code for your website, if you really don't want to learn html then there are other options. Many programs can write html for you, Dreamweaver is an excellent example, frontpage works as well but...not so much. Basically how these programs work is that they take text, images and formatting that you input (similar to in a word document) and turn it into the language you see above. If you want to see an example of what you can do just go to one of your favourite websites and select view -> source. This will show you the code that persons host sent to your browser (which your browser then converted into what you saw on the page).

Harv0kz

Level 34
Feb 18, 2011
Credits
Also related: since im tight on pocket change and my parents are no way going to let me pay for a domain, not matter its purpose, can you suggest any free web hosts?

btw off this topic, but i like the new form skin