What's new

GTA 5 and Red Dead 2 VR Mod Creator Issued Takedown Notice by Take-Two

Grand Theft Auto 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, and the Mafia trilogy publisher Take-Two Interactive has ordered a popular virtual reality modder to take down his adaptations of the games.

As reported by PC Gamer, Luke Ross said on his Patreon that Take-Two is ordering that he removes "all their copyrighted works" from his Patreon page.

While his GTA 5 mod is available to download separately, the Red Dead Redemption 2 and Mafia ones are still works in progress and are therefore only available on his Patreon, where Ross reportedly earns more than $20,000 a month.

That being said, Ross noted that the takedown was "filed as a copyright issue and not a licensing issue, so the motivation for the request does not appear to be related to the fact that there is money involved."

It did come as a surprise however, Ross said, as "none of my modifications are built using software belonging to Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc, and the modifications are not intended to replace their games, nor are they a means of exploiting Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc's proprietary IP or assets."

Ross is hoping to gain further clarification on what exactly he did wrong, but warned fans that if he can't, he will need to take down all of his Take-Two related content.

"I refuse to believe that is what Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. wants, because that would be an extremely anti-customer and anti-gamer move on their part," he said. "But I am not getting in a legal battle with them. If what they want is to assert their corporate dominance with gamers' interests as collateral damage, I have no power to stop them."

Ross is a well-known modder and has added VR support for plenty of other games including Elden Ring and Cybperunk 2077. As you'd expect, his mods let players use virtual reality headsets on PC to play the games from a first person perspective.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer who occasionally remembers to tweet @thelastdinsdale. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...