What's new

Elden Ring Finally Lets You Summon Torrent Against the Elden Beast and Fans Are Buzzing

Spoiler Warning: This article features mild spoilers for the final boss of Elden Ring.

On the eve of Elden Ring's expansion Shadow of the Erdtree launching, FromSoftware has finally allowed players to use Spirit Steed (horse) Torrent against the infamous Elden Beast boss, addressing one of the few complaints players have about the beloved role-playing game.

The first chunky Elden Ring patch in a long time was release today, June 20, 2024, with a wealth of features, but perhaps none more exciting than the ability to summon Torrent for the game's final fight.

The Elden Beast isn't a particularly difficult fight but many fans did find it quite frustrating due to the arena's colossal size and the boss essentially teleporting around the arena. A lot of time is therefore spent running after the Elden Beast instead of actually fighting it.

OMG YOU CAN SUMMON TORRENT DURING THE ELDEN BEAST BOSS FIGHT NOW pic.twitter.com/pO4JAItlKG

— 𓆣 (@LadyRanni) June 20, 2024

"I just saw someone beat the Elden Beast with a cheat engine enabling the use of your horse Torrent during the fight, and this was absolutely the way the boss was meant to be played," wrote X/Twitter user @velvetbnuuy earlier in June. "This is one of the biggest design fumbles in an otherwise amazing game I can think of."

As the fan notes, many mods have been created to allow Elden Ring players to summon Torrent in the fight, and YouTube videos showcasing the modded battle in action have thousands of views.

"I got tired of Chase the Boss Simulator 2022 towards the end," wrote GameFAQs user OnyxZephyr333. "I'm here to fight you. Not watch my character run for a minute while you do a move then roll, teleport, or slither away."

How do you think having access to Torrent would affect your impression of the Elden Beast boss fight?

— Zullie (@ZullieTheWitch) October 10, 2022

X/Twitter user @ZullieTheWitch asked their followers how Torrent would affect the fight, and of 27,771 responses, 66.2% said Torrent would improve things. Needless to say, many players wanted FromSoftware to allow Torrent in the fight, and the Elden Ring community has erupted in excitement about today's change.

"Oh my god, thank you Miyazaki," said one Reddit user, referencing Elden Ring director Hidetaka Miyazaki. "We can finally summon Torrent for the Elden Beast." "Torrent buddy we made it," said someone in the replies.

The update makes this and several other changes ahead of Shadow of the Erdtree's launch tomorrow, June 21. Just like previous FromSoftware games Dark Souls and Bloodborne, however, accessing the DLC isn't as simple as selecting it on a menu, as players must tick off a handful of obscure feats beforehand, including beating an optional boss.

IGN's guide on how to prepare for the Shadow of Erdtree is fully up to date with everything you need, however, and make sure to check out our Elden Ring interactive map to ensure you're not missing any important collectibles.

You can also catch up on IGN's "How Long to Beat" for Shadow of the Erdtree and kill some time ahead of its imminent release by reading our extensive 10/10 review.

"Like the base game did before it, Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree raises the bar for single player expansions," we said. "It takes everything that made the base game such a landmark RPG, condenses it into a relatively compact 20-25 hour campaign, and provides fantastic new challenges for heavily invested fans to chew on."

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...