What's new

Destiny 2: The Final Shape Leaks as Expansion Goes Live Early

Those looking forward to Destiny 2: The Final Shape's launch on June 4, 2024 should perhaps stay off the internet for a few days as a mishap at PlayStation-owned Bungie saw the entire expansion release early and spoilers spread like wildfire.

As reported by Eurogamer, dozens of players took to social media to share their shock and horror after discovering the highly anticipated expansion, set to be the grand finale in Destiny 2's so far 10 year saga, was available to play on May 29 after server maintenance.

Those who chose to stream Destiny 2 instead of play a downloaded version, like Cupcake_0f_Doom on Reddit, were loaded straight into the new content.

I tried loading it up tonight and at first I thought cross save was bugged and it wasn't loading up my account.

"I tried loading it up tonight and at first I thought cross save was bugged and it wasn't loading up my account," they said. "It wanted me to create a new character. Then I noticed the title screen had been updated to The Final Shape. It looked like I was loading into a build of The Final Shape."

The player got to try a few missions before the bane of many gamers, having to go to bed for work in the morning, got the better of them, but not before they shared their discovery online and riled up the Destiny 2 community.

Bungie soon shut down the game's servers and thus stopped players exploring every inch of it, but players were still able to find and share myriad major points of interest such as story spoilers and information on its raid, trophies, loot, and more.

Sony and Bungie have done their best to increase interest in The Final Shape ahead of its release, even granting access to three major Destiny 2 expansions (and four on PlayStation) for free in the month ahead of its launch.

The Final Shape was due to arrive on February 27, 2024 but suffered a delay because it needed "more time to become exactly what [Bungie] wants it to be", according to the developer's official statement.

The studio was hit with lay offs in October 2023, however, due to the underperformance of Destiny 2. This led to a "soul crushing" atmosphere at Bungie as employees said goodbye to around 100 colleagues and feared further job losses, rumored to arrive upon The Final Shape's release.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...