What's new

Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Shares Hard-Fought Journey to Include One Extremely Specific Feature

A CD Projekt Red developer has shared their hard fought journey to get a very specific and utterly random feature added to Cyberpunk 2077.

Online services lead Leszek Krupiński made a lengthy post on X/Twitter to chronicle the journey of getting the "munch munch" sound added when protagonist V eats an item in the menu. This sound was already in Cyberpunk 2077 when players ate while roaming around the world, but the menu sound only arrived with its latest 2.11 update.

"This version includes a tiny thing, tiny feature I've poured my heart into," Krupiński began, who explained his inspiration came from the Niezatapialni podcast which has a host who always asks for the feature.

I want to share my personal achievement with you. Recently one of the last patches for Cyberpunk 2077 has been released. This version includes a tiny thing, tiny feature I've poured my heart into. It all started with Dominik Gąska from Niezatapialni podcast. Each time a new patch… pic.twitter.com/yDASsSyMKD

— Leszek Krupiński ⭕️ (@lisciasty_) February 2, 2024

"Yes, the lack of this was an omission, but I dunno if it wasn't noticed, or the priority was low, so it was never added," Krupiński continued. "I decided to do something about it. It was way out of my scope of work, but I started asking around. I talked to producers and release managers if it's not too late to add any new features (it was after 2.0 was released), but they didn't say 'no' instantly, so there was a chance.

"I put on a producer hat and started discussions with sound designers and the UI team. And this week I've installed the patch, and there it is. My most meaningful impact on Cyberpunk 2077: when you eat stuff in the inventory, you hear 'munch munch'. I can die in peace now."

Update 2.11 also addressed myriad bugs and balance issues in the open-world role-playing game. Melee finishers, dashes turning into crouches, and wrongly upgrading items have all been fixed among other issues. CD Projekt Red has also adjusted the frequency of car chases, stopped completed gigs remaining incomplete on the map, and addressed a bug where players couldn't sleep during the quest I Really Want to Stay at Your House.

It came after the game changing Update 2.0, which completely revamped Cyberpunk 2077 with features such as a new perk system and improved AI and also brought closure to an Elon Musk fan theory, a reference to the late racing legend Ken Block, and bizarre additions to the game's biggest mystery. Update 2.1 later added a full metro system, romantic partner hangouts, new vehicles, and more.

In our 9/10 review of the game, IGN said: "Cyberpunk 2077 throws you into a beautiful, dense cityscape and offers a staggering amount of flexibility in how you choose to take it from there."

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...