What's new

Creator of The Mortuary Assistant Making New Paranormal Activity Horror Video Game Due Out 2026

The creator of viral horror video game The Mortuary Assistant is making a new, officially licensed Paranormal Activity video game.

Paranormal Activity, due out in 2026, is produced by Paramount Game Studios, with The Mortuary Assistant creator Brian Clarke, aka DarkStone Digital, on development duty. DreadXP, the publisher Clarke co-directs, will handle the release. The game is based on the hugely popular found footage horror film franchise, which kicked off in 2007 and has seen seven films. The teaser trailer is below:

My latest project is a Paranormal Activity game. I am beyond excited to be doing this as I have loved this series from the very beginning and it heavily shaped my style of horror.

Lots of work to do! Follow to stay up to date!#ParanormalActivity #horror #indiedev #gamedev pic.twitter.com/iePiOygrEb

— Brian Clarke (@DSDigitalDev) February 27, 2024

And here's the official blurb:

DreadXP’s Paranormal Activity video game will bring the franchise's groundbreaking found-footage style to horror enthusiasts in surprising new ways, immersing them in a story that expands upon the lore and world of the films. DreadXP co-director and creative director Brian Clarke (AKA DarkStone Digital), the developer of the acclaimed The Mortuary Assistant, leads the development of Paranormal Activity. The game will feature an advanced ‘Haunt System,’ which will dynamically alter the types and intensity of scares players will encounter based on their actions.

“The success of the Paranormal Activity franchise epitomizes the power and reach of the horror genre,” said Clarke. “If you thought The Mortuary Assistant was scary, we’re taking what we learned during the development of that title and cranking it up with a more reactive and horrifying haunting system. It’s going to be intense!”

The Paranormal Activity video game is slated for release in 2026 across multiple platforms. Expect more information from DreadXP at a later date.

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...