What's new

Changes to Aggression

Woody2371

Level 47
Jan 29, 2011
Credits
I'm amused hearing "switch to teamspeak" seeing as that was what was used before... multiple times. And yes I agree, IRC is nice, but it's not voice. It's just text... in which case you might as well just use the forums and/or the game. It's just another thing to have to change screen to, to type, then change back. Any voip client avoids that neccesity.

While there are advantages to VOIP, certainly it is easier show inflections of speech as well as speak easily, text-based communication is better from a standpoint of continual history that can be referred to (check what someone said at a later date) as well as being available not only in a home environment, but also while we are at work, on a bus (smartphone IRC support), at school/uni, at some other location where speech is not an option.

Voice is good, IRC supports every situation.

Dakry

Level 31
Oct 10, 2010
Credits
I do agree Tom and understand that well. It just appears that by doing so the general community feel that was brought up based on voip coms is now becoming lost. Were we not to talk on IRC all that time ago then I likely wouldn't know half of you as well as I do and trust half of you as much as I do. Though I enjoy the idea of IRC it does look like yet another communications angle that is being jumped to much like the mumble phase, skype phase and thus I hold little hope for IRC as well. I have started using it and will come in when I can but am afraid of seeing voip lost to the world of BoN. It's a sad day when we no longer "talk" to each other but simply hammer out sentences only to become picked upon due to grammar.

Also for those of you who refuse to use Teamspeak due to a "why should I?" logic. Those of us who have been here a while know each other very well. We know not only each others humour, but our personal hates, how to really interact and get out pure comedy gold. You miss singing, joking and events in each others lives that are nice to hear about but can't be summed up by just text but require vocal input.

It would be nice to have a text client but why Teamspeak is falling by the way side so much I will never know (though I do suggest removing all of the channels and having just a lobby, an afk and an admin channel instead of lots of faction ones).

Woody2371

Level 47
Jan 29, 2011
Credits
We still support teamspeak as a general communication channel (as should be apparent from the fact that we host one), however I think all the Admins agree that for official business (requesting help with hosting, server help, or reporting a complaint), using IRC is much better.

For getting to know people, as a community, I absolutely agree voice communication is best (hence my extensive use of Skype with my fellow gamers).

Cub_Nake

Level 46
Sep 29, 2010
Credits
But skype doesn't let you interact with the entire community or let yourself be publicly seen. It loses the community feel and sections you off to a select few.

Teamspeak is more public, yes you get bothered by people you don't want to talk to occasionally, but it lets you meet new people and strengthen the resolve of the community when you're seen.

Woody2371

Level 47
Jan 29, 2011
Credits
I said to interact with my fellow gamers.

I don't game with people from the aggression community, I game with people who use skype.

I was just pointing out my use of VoIP as a tool to get to know people better than over IRC

Cub_Nake

Level 46
Sep 29, 2010
Credits
I said to interact with my fellow gamers.

I don't game with people from the aggression community, I game with people who use skype.

I was just pointing out my use of VoIP as a tool to get to know people better than over IRC

I'm not talking about just the aggression community, the entire BoN gaming community.

When you can see staff, you assume that people care about the servers you play on.

I'm also not just talking about you, the administration team in general.

I miss the days where I would come on teamspeak and near every admin was in a channel now all we have is a generally AFK Echo. Echo's great, he's a broseph and a babe, but I miss everyone else too. Hell I'm surprised there aren't more people using teamspeak considering the server population.

Does no one want a reliable free voice communication program that isn't skype?

A lot is missed with IRC as the standard.

Sorry about being so disjointed, I just miss the teamspeak days gone by.