What's new

Certain Affinity Is Working on an Original FPS After Years of Assisting with Halo and Other Games

After years of serving as a support studio for major projects such as Halo Infinite, Doom, and Perfect Dark, Certain Affinity is once again striking out on its own with an original project, codenamed Project Loro.

This news was revealed by company founder and CEO Max Hoberman on X (formerly Twitter) today, where he posted an image of a Project Loro banner at Gamescom, referring to it as an "original FPS."

Today was a second full day of behind closed doors pitches at Gamescom, and our playable demo put a lot of smiles on people's faces. We tell everyone the project codename, and it's bound to get out, so let me be the first.

Say hello to Loro, a working title for our original FPS. pic.twitter.com/ycZgZYIG2F

— Max Hoberman (@MaxHoberman) August 23, 2023

"Today was a second full day of behind closed doors pitches at Gamescom, and our playable demo put a lot of smiles on people's faces," Hoberman wrote. "We tell everyone the project codename, and it's bound to get out, so let me be the first. Say hello to Loro, a working title for our original FPS."

While Hoberman didn't share further details, it's possible that Project Loro is one and the same as the rumored "Project Suerte," which is reportedly a Monster Hunter-inspired game with multiplayer.

Certain Affinity's most recent published project was Halo Infinite, which it co-developed alongside 343i, and we reported earlier this year that it also had a hand in The Initiative's Perfect Dark reboot before departing the project in early 2021. Since then, Certain Affinity has had its hands on a number of other projects including a blockchain FPS with Gala Games called Last Expedition, and an unannounced new something for Halo Infinite that's rumored to be a battle royale mode.

While Hoberman was light on details during his brief gamescom tease, there's plenty more coming out of gamescom that we know lots about. We just published our big Phil Spencer gamescom interview, we also spoke to Todd Howard, and we have a roundup of everything announced at Opening Night Live 2023.

Rebekah Valentine is a senior reporter for IGN. Got a story tip? Send it to rvalentine@ign.com.

Continue reading...