What's new

CD Projekt Red Is Sunsetting Support for Gwent: The Witcher Card Game

CD Projekt Red is sunsetting support for Gwent: The Witcher Card Game though has reassured the game will remain online for years to come.

Gwent will be supported with new cards and eSports tournaments throughout 2023 but this will end as of 2024 as the game switches to a community-focused approach, in what is internally known as Project Gwentfinity.

CD Projekt Red told IGN that a small number of developers will keep Gwent running from this point onwards, with all remaining team members being transferred to other projects at the studio.

Project Gwentfinity will see a seasonal progression system added to the game that rewards creative deckbuilding alongside a new balancing feature that allows the community to vote for changes to balance, though CD Projekt Red said restrictions will be in place to prevent manipulation and "game-breaking" changes.

The last 7 years with @PlayGwent were the best years of my professional career. I’ve met so many amazing people and made so many unforgettable friendships. I’ll always look back at this time with a huge smile. Let’s make 2023 as epic as possible! Love you all! ❤️

— Pawel Burza (@pawelburza) December 4, 2022

In the meantime, Gwent will see 72 cards released across three expansions in April, July, and September 2023. Two eSports tournaments will also take place and monthly balance changes will be implemented as normal. CD Projekt Red looks to create a fully balanced pool of cards within this time and implement other features that contribute to Gwent's longevity.

"When it comes to Gwent and its community, I would like to say that this is not the end and that we have another great year (and more) ahead of us," CD Projekt Red senior communications manager Paweł Burza told IGN.

Gwent celebrated its five year anniversary of entering open beta in May 2022, but was first released in closed beta back in October 2016. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales was released as a full RPG spin-off in 2018 and a single-player standalone expansion called Gwent: Rogue Mage was released earlier this year.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer and acting UK news editor. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...