What's new

Best 2-in-1 Laptops 2022

Not long ago, touchscreen laptops were considered pretty out of place. But a lot has changed over the last few years, specifically because Microsoft has made vast improvements to Windows to improve the overall touchscreen experience. Before it was just using your finger to scroll through a long web page, which wasn’t a real benefit. Now, thanks to the combination of a touch-friendly interface and stylus support throughout Windows 11 and in apps, 2-in-1 laptops are becoming more common – and more attractive.

The 2-in-1 idea is simple; it’s a laptop with a touchscreen that either detaches or rotates 360-degrees, morphing the device into a faux-tablet. In theory, this gives you the best of both worlds; a laptop and a tablet in a single slim(ish) package. Some convertible and detachable laptops even support Windows Ink, which allows you to use a stylus to jot down some notes or draw on the display. Of course, a poorly designed convertible laptop can also give you the worst of both worlds with an expensive, underpowered laptop and a bulky tablet. Luckily, we’ve got you covered, and we’ve done all the research and narrowed down the search for you with these models listed below - and click here to see them in the UK.

TL;DR – These are the Best 2-in-1 Laptops:

1. Surface Pro 8

Best 2-in-1 Laptop

Display: 13” PixelSense (2,880 x 1,920) 120Hz | CPU: Intel Core i5-1135G7 | GPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics | RAM: 8GB (LPDDR4x) | Storage: 128GB | Weight: 1.96 pounds | Size: 11.3" x 8.2" x 0.37"

There’s no doubt that Microsoft’s Surface Pro lineup helped create the 2-in-1 market, and with the Surface Pro 8, Microsoft has once again set the bar for a device that pulls double-duty as a laptop and tablet. The detachable’s 13-inch PixelSense Flow display supports multi-touch and you can use a stylus, like the Microsoft Slim Pen 2, for drawing or writing.

It comes with Windows 11 Home, and is powered by Intel’s 11th Gen Core i5 processor, with 8GB of memory and a 128GB SSD. The base model, which we’ve highlighted here, is going to provide enough power for everyday tasks, and even some photo or light video editing. If you’re looking for more power, the Surface Pro 8 is upgradable to an Intel Core i7, 32GB of RAM, and an 1TB SSD.

Keep in mind, however, that if you want to use the Surface Pro 8 as a laptop and tablet, you’ll need to buy a keyboard separately, like the $200 Surface Pro Signature Keyboard or the $280 combo that comes with a Surface Slim Pen 2, adding to the overall cost.

2. Surface Laptop Studio

Best 2-in-1 Laptop for Creatives

Display: 14.4” PixelSense (2,400 x 1,600) 120Hz | CPU: Intel Core i7-11370H | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 Ti | RAM: 16GB  LPDDR4x | Storage: 512GB SSD | Weight: 4 pounds | Size: 12.7” x 8.98” x 0.75”

Microsoft’s latest 2-in-1 offering takes the best of the Surface Book 3 and combines it with a unique design to give creatives a powerful and versatile laptop. Instead of a screen that detaches from the housing, the Surface Laptop Studio’s screen can be positioned a few different ways, including rotating it so that it lays flat on top of the keyboard, giving you a spot to draw or sketch with the Slim Pen 2. You can can also magnetically attach and charge the Slim Pen 2 just under the device’s front lip, keeping it nearby and ready to work at all times.

Inside this particular build is an Intel 11th Gen Core i7 processor, 16GB of memory, 512GB of storage and an RTX 3050 Ti, giving you all of the power you’d need to work in professional CAD apps or edit video and photos – and do some casual gaming between projects. The Surface Laptop Studio does a little bit of everything, and it looks good while doing it.

3. Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360

Thinnest 2-in-1 Laptop

Display: 13.3” Full HD (1,920 x 1,080) AMOLED | CPU: Intel Core i7-1260P | GPU: Intel Iris Xe | RAM: 16GB LPDDR5 | Storage: 512GB SSD | Weight: 2.29 pounds | Size: 11.91" x 7.95" x 0.45"

Samsung’s latest 2-in-1 laptop is the Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360, an impressively thin and light laptop/tablet hybrid. The display folds back, nearly 360-degrees, converting from a standard laptop to a tablet. On top of that, you can use the stowable Samsung S Pen stylus to interact with the Windows 11 interface.

Samsung includes several of its own apps and services on the Book 2 Pro 360, such as the Samsung Notes app that syncs with Galaxy smartphones, like the Samsung Galaxy S22.

This model has an impressively sharp AMOLED display that’s powered by a 12th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of memory, and 512GB of storage with enough battery life to get through a full day of work with some juice to spare.

4. HP Envy x360

Best Premium 2-in-1 Laptop

Display: 13.3” WUXGA (1,920 x 1,200) | CPU: Intel Core i7-1250U| GPU: Intel Iris Xe | RAM: 8GB DDR4 | Storage: 512GB SSD | Weight: 3.05 pounds | Size: 8.46" x 11.75" x 0.63"

The HP Envy x360 is a capable laptop ready to take on all your everyday tasks with ease. This machine is packing the latest 12th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB of memory, and 512GB of storage. This combo ensures all your applications run smoothly and fast. And when it comes to battery life, it should last most of the day with moderate use and comes with a fast charging feature. Though this machine is somewhat heavy at over 3lbs, so it’s not the most portable option on our list.

Of course, you’re not just getting a basic laptop with the HP Envy x360, but a 2-in-1 option. It can also be used in tent mode to watch movies or YouTube videos or fold the screen all the way back and use it as a big tablet. The display itself offers thin bezels and a 1920 x 1200 resolution with intuitive touch technology baked-in.

Beyond the display, you get a sleek, durable chassis along with backlit keys and several ports that make it easy to connect your accessories. The integrated Bang & Olufsen speakers sound surprisingly good for a laptop, and a shutter on the 5MP camera also ensures privacy when you’re not video chatting.

5. Zenbook Pro 15 Flip OLED

Best 2-in-1 OLED Laptop

Display: 15.6” 2.8K (2880 x 1620) OLED | CPU: Intel Core i7-12700H | GPU: Intel Iris Xe | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Storage: 512GB SSD | Weight: 3.97 pounds | Size: 13.98" x 9.02" x 0.74"

Want a 2-in-1 with a display you can’t stop staring at? Look no further than the Zenbook Pro 15 Flip OLED. It has a bright and vivid 15.6-inch OLED touchscreen panel featuring a 2880 x 1620 resolution and a 120Hz refresh rate for butter-smooth visuals. That display covers a wide color gamut and is even HDR certified for a pleasant viewing experience. Best of all, you can use it as a laptop, tent it to watch your favorite shows, or fold the display until it lays flat and convert the ZenBook into an OLED tablet.

Inside the ZenBook Pro 15 Flip is a 12th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of memory, and a 512GB SSD for storage to power that impressive OLED screen—and all your everyday tasks. You also get a 96W battery that should keep the laptop juiced up for 12 hours, making it a perfect campion to bring to work or on trips.

There are a full set of I/O ports on the Zenbook, including two Thunderbolt 4 ports for charging the laptop or connecting high-speed accessories, an HDMI port makes it easy to connect an external display, and a USB-A port means you won’t have to carry a USB hub either. The bow on top of this solid 2-in-1 option is the included stylus to get even more creative with drawing and writing.

Where to Get the Best 2-in-1 Laptop in the UK

What to look for in a 2-in-1 laptop

It’s most important to take into account what you’re going to be using a 2-in-1 laptop for, not only today, but in the future. Once you identify if you’re going to use it for everyday tasks like browsing, email, messaging, online shopping and videos you can narrow down your search to a build near the lower end of most laptop makers' configurations.

However, if you’re going to need to do heavy video and photo editing, or spend a lot of time in 3D animation software, then you’ll want to look at a device like the Microsoft Laptop Studio that has the power you’re certainly going to need.

If you’re not sure what you’ll use it for, the best advice, then, is to get a 2-in-1 laptop that has a fast processor and plenty of memory. Every option listed here, save for the Surface Pro 8, meets those requirements. And even then, you can pick a higher-end configuration of the Pro 8 to up the memory and storage.

A good starting point would be to look for a 2-in-1 laptop with an Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of memory and 256GB of storage. In an ideal situation, you’d double the memory and storage to future-proof your investment.

Jason Cipriani has covered technology full-time for the past 8 years. During that time he has freelanced for the likes of CNET, Fortune, Time, ZDNet, Macworld, Wired, and TechRadar.

Continue reading...