What's new

Arthur Morgan Actor 'Certain' Rockstar Will Make Red Dead Redemption 3 Eventually

Amid the fuss over Grand Theft Auto 6, the actor who plays the star of Rockstar’s other massive game franchise has said he believes the developer will eventually get to making a sequel.

Roger Clark played Arthur Morgan, the main playable protagonist of 2018’s Red Dead Redemption 2. Clark took to X/Twitter to talk about the GTA 6 trailer, like just about everyone else, and said he believes GTA 6’s version of GTA Online won’t replace GTA 5’s still hugely popular GTA Online.

“It just dawned on me that there’s no reason whatsoever for GTA 5 online to slow down,” Clark said. “Graphics still hold up, it’s a completely different city. GTA 6 won’t replace it, they’ll both be around for us all to enjoy. Rockstar is going to head further into the stratosphere.”

This prompted a question from a fan who asked about Red Dead Redemption 3, a game Rockstar has yet to announce or even confirm is in the works.

Clark replied to say he’s “certain” fans will see Red Dead Redemption 3 “one day”, but qualified that statement by saying he has no idea when that will be. Clark also ruled out the return of outlaw Arthur Morgan in the game, should it come to be. If you’ve played Red Dead Redemption 2, this might seem like stating the obvious, but there’s always the chance Rockstar may consider another prequel of some kind.

“I’m certain we will see Red Redemption 3 one day,” Clark said. “When that will be — I have absolutely no idea. Don’t count on Arthur’s involvement either. His story has been told, I feel.”

There is no indication here that Rockstar is working on Red Dead Redemption 3, but it would make a lot of sense. While Red Dead Redemption isn’t as big a franchise as GTA, and Red Dead Online does not come close to matching the popularity of Rockstar’s decade-old cash cow, it’s still enormous compared to the majority of video games, with sales of over 81 million units worldwide to date. Only last month IGN reported on how an eye-catching sale propelled Red Dead Redemption 2 to new heights on Steam, with more concurrent players than ever before on Valve's platform.

The focus for now, though, is squarely on GTA 6, which is due out at some point in 2025 on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X and S (but not PC, apparently). Red Dead Redemption 2 came out in 2018, five years after GTA 5. Perhaps we’ll see Red Dead Redemption 3 in 2030.

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...