What's new

Andrzej Sapkowski Is Writing Another Witcher Book

Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski has confirmed he's writing another book in The Witcher series that will presumably continue the story of Geralt of Rivia.

As reported by Redanian Intelligence, Sapkowski told Ukrainian YouTube channel Fantastic Talk that, while he's teased a potential return to the series for years, he can finally confirm a new Witcher book is on the way.

"I never say these things because with me you never know. Maybe I’ll do something, maybe I won’t," Sapkowski said. "So far, when I said that I would write something, and then I didn’t write it, people complained as if I had deceived them and as if I had lied.

"That’s why I don’t like to talk about what I’m doing until I finish doing it. Because until I finish it, I don’t think it exists. But since I always make exceptions for Ukrainians, I will do it this time too. Yes, I’m working on a new book about The Witcher and quite diligently. It may take a year, but no longer."

The previous Witcher book, Season of Storms, was released in 2013 and told a self-contained story of Geralt years before the main Witcher saga, which was concluded in 1999 with The Lady of the Lake.

It's unclear what this upcoming entry will be about but it will again likely go back in time instead of forward. Not only does Geralt's story come to a fairly definitive end in the main saga, but a (technically unofficial) progression has already taken place through the CD Projekt game series, which takes place in the few years following the books.

While these are the only truly canonical entries in The Witcher franchise, the universe has now evolved far beyond the original book series. The game trilogy (and several incoming sequels and spin-offs) are joined by the Netflix show, a comic book series, a tabletop RPG, manga, and even a cookbook.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...