What's new

1TB MicroSD Card Deal: Add Storage to Switch or Steam Deck

I’m kind of obsessed with handheld gaming. It’s the best, because you can fit it in no matter where you are or who’s using the TV. The problem with devices like the Nintendo Switch or Steam Deck (for anyone lucky enough to have one) is that storage space is limited. Thankfully, you can grab a hefty 1TB microSD card right now for $124.99, a huge and rare discount. That ought to give you plenty of room to install big games like Red Dead Redemption 2, NBA 2K22, The Witcher 3, and so on.

Save on 1TB SanDisk MicroSD Card

Storage doesn’t come cheap, but it wasn’t long ago that these 1TB cards cost $400. This is the second-lowest price this card has ever gone. And you almost never find 1TB cards from reputable companies for lower than $125. If you could use more storage on your Switch or Steam Deck (or camera or whatever), this is an excellent deal.

The Nintendo Switch is particularly stingy with storage. While the newer Switch OLED model does include 64GB of storage out of the box, it can get eaten up fast. NBA 2K22, for instance, takes up 46.1GB of storage. That’s more than the 32GB the standard Switch model comes with. Absurd, friends. Absurd.

The Steam Deck comes in three storage sizes (see them on Steam), but the higher sizes cost significantly more than the lowest one. The 64GB model costs $399. Move up to the 256GB model, and you’re on the hook for $529. Going to the 512GB model costs a wallet-punishing $649.

In short, if you want to have a decent-sized library of AAA games on your Switch or Steam Deck, you’re probably going to want to add a microSD card sooner than later. And while you could definitely pick up a card with less storage for cheaper, I always like maximizing my storage (within a reasonable budget, anyway). This 1TB microSD card is perfect. And you might as well grab one during this rare time while it’s on sale.

Chris Reed is a deals expert and commerce editor for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @_chrislreed.

Continue reading...