What's new

Ex-Bungie Composer Marty O'Donnell Running for Congress

Former Bungie composer Marty O'Donnell has announced his intention to run as the Republican Party candidate in Nevada’s third congressional district in the 2024 House of Representatives elections.

O'Donnell tweeted his announcement, saying: “I never wanted to be a politician and I still don’t. I’ve had two successful careers and have started a few small businesses. I’ve also worked for some big corporations. I was ready to retire and spend more time with my family — which I’ve done for the past three years. I think they’re ready for me to find something else to do.”

68-year-old Trump supporter O'Donnell semi-retired to a Las Vegas suburb after his legal tussles with former employers Bungie and Microsoft settled, and after founding Highwire Games, the developer of virtual reality game Golem and controversial shooter Six Days in Fallujah.

I never wanted to be a politician and I still don’t.

O'Donnell is best-known for co-composing the Halo franchise’s iconic soundtrack and Destiny’s Music of the Spheres accompaniment during a 14-year period as audio director at the Seattle-based Bungie. In April 2014, O'Donnell said he had been fired from Bungie "without cause”, then filed a series of lawsuits that were eventually settled.

In 2020, O'Donnell and co-composer on Halo and Destiny Mike Salvatori sued Microsoft over what the pair claimed was money owed relating to royalties dating back 20 years. In 2022, O'Donnell and Salvatori instructed their lawyers to explore the possibility of blocking the release of the then upcoming Halo TV show with a preliminary injunction. Months later, O'Donnell said the lawsuit against Microsoft had been "amicably resolved.”

The 2024 United States House of Representatives elections in Nevada are set for November 5, 2024. The third district includes the western Las Vegas suburbs, including Spring Valley, Summerlin South, and Sandy Valley. The incumbent is Democrat Susie Lee, who was reelected in 2022 with 52% of the vote.

Image credit: Photo by Paul Conrad/WireImage

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at wesley_yinpoole@ign.com or confidentially at wyp100@proton.me.

Continue reading...