What's new

Elden Ring's Character Creator Has Leaked And Fans Love How In-Depth It Is

Footage of the Elden Ring character creator has leaked, and fans are pleasantly surprised to find it's a much more in-depth system than that featured in Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Leaked by YouTuber ER-SA, the character creator allows for the making of much more natural looking human characters than FromSoftware's previous games. Part of that comes from the graphical fidelity of Elden Ring; while arguably not quite on par with the PS5 Demon's Souls remake, the characters are far more comparable, and of a significantly higher quality than those seen in Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne. A comparison between recent FromSoft character creation results was posted to Twitter by fan SkeleMann:

FromSoftware Character Creators
Elden Ring - Dark Soul 3 - Bloodborne pic.twitter.com/0my4zjI5c1

— SkeleMann (@SkeleMann) January 9, 2022

Additionally, a number of slider options allow a significant amount of in-depth control over how your Elden Ring character looks. In the closed network test, from which this footage has leaked, the labels for each of the options are missing. However, we can clearly see via the results that there are options for altering spacing on all aspects of the face, and the ability to reform areas like the nose, cheeks, chin, and brow. Essentially, while the enhanced graphics of Elden Ring allow for much more natural looking characters, you'll also be able to create an absolutely disgusting beast of a person, should you still wish.

the character creators in the soul games weren't the best, so seeing how the graphics have improved in the time since with elden ring and the fact the characters actually look human has me happy pic.twitter.com/1oQK43HlQD

— Harris (@TheHarryboi) January 9, 2022

So far, the reaction from fans has been very positive, with just as many interested in making a realistic character as they are in making something that could be featured in Monster Factory.

Seen some leaks of elden ring character creation and man i'm so excited to finally be able to make a human instead of a fish person/skinwalker

— Mikko Pöyry COMMS CLOSED (@artmigu) January 10, 2022

BRO ELDEN RING CHARACTER CREATOR LOOKS AMAZING IM GONNA GO WACKO

— Megungi (@minstrelfeline) January 9, 2022

"I see that the soulsborne tradition of making possible horrendously mutated-looking monstrosities is still alive and well," said user WereSalamander on Resetera. "Hair looks absolutely stunning here," added Zurick.

"Huge upgrade from DSIII. Honestly did not expected. Oh and you can still make abomination characters! Everyone will be happy this time lol," said user MeltedDreams. "Nice. I'm glad I can still make abominations that ruin improve every single cutscene," said MrCibb.

Elden Ring and Souls-veteran director Hidetaka Miyazaki recently revealed that the graphical quality of the Demon's Souls remake put extra pressure on the Elden Ring team to make the game look fantastic. And while the multiplatform nature of Elden Ring means it likely will never look as graphically cutting edge as Demon's Souls for PS5, this is definitely a step up for FromSoftware, and the character creation suite is following in that direction.

Matt Purslow is IGN's UK News and Entertainment Writer.

Continue reading...