What's new

Baldur's Gate 3 Player Makes a Real Mysterious Artefact That Doubles as an Xbox Controller

A dedicated Baldur's Gate 3 fan has recreated the Mysterious Artefact in real life, and it doubles as an Xbox controller to play the game with.

Twitch streamer Rudeism shared a video on X/Twitter, below, of the artefact's creation and use, showing off its complete functionality as a working Xbox controller that can fully control Baldur's Gate 3 (or Forza Motorsport, Starfield, or any other Xbox game).

Each side of the Mysterious Artefact is a separate Xbox button like A, B, Right Trigger, and so on, while the thumbsticks are simulated using motion controls from inside the controller, meaning Rudeism has to turn the device itself to move their character around.

The project took nearly five months to complete, as Rudeism had to design the body to fit 20 key switches, 3D print all the parts, design and wire the circuitry, program it, and then paint it before it was ready to play games with.

I turned the Artifact from @baldursgate3 into a controller!

It's a fully functional wireless Xbox controller - 20 buttons & a motion sensor for simulating thumbsticks

Starting my first run with it on Twitch TOMORROW - https://t.co/H1RBWnJAHx pic.twitter.com/UgKbs7kgML

— Rudeism (@rudeism) May 10, 2024

"It was a long time but it was well worth the wait," they said in their video. "It's not the most ergonomic controller I've ever made but I definitely think it's one of the most unique. That's what I aim for with my builds."

Rudeism also streamed Baldur's Gate 3 on Twitch using the Mysterious Artefact controller for those eager to see it in use proper.

The Mysterious Artefact is, well, a mysterious artefact players must contend with during the events of Baldur's Gate 3, the Dungeon & Dragons based role-playing game from Larian Studios. It proved a smash hit upon its release in 2023, earning myriad game of the year awards alongside a 10/10 review from IGN.

"With crunchy, tactical RPG combat, a memorable story with complex characters, highly polished cinematic presentation, and a world that always rewards exploration and creativity, Baldur's Gate 3 is the new high-water mark for CRPGs," we said.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelance reporter. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...