What's new

Yakuza Studio Working on Yakuza 8, Judgement, and a Brand New Game

Ryo Ga Gotoku Studio is currently working on Yakuza 8 as well as another unannounced game, and intends to "take great care" of the Judgement series.

In a conversation with Famitsu (translated by IGN Japan), Ryo Ga Gotoku studio director, Masayoshi Yokoyama, said “I can’t go into any details about Yakuza 8 yet, but I can reveal it will be a continuation of the story of 7, set a few years later.”

Yokoyama hinted that it will further follow the story of Yakuza: Like a Dragon protagonist Ichiban Kasuga, and confirmed that "the story will be set in the present day for the year the game goes on sale.”

He also spoke about the studio's other projects beyond the mainline Yakuza series. "We will also take great care over the Judgement series," he said, although did not go as far as saying a third game in the series is in development.

“Beyond Judgement, we would love to tackle an all-new game as well, once the pieces are in place," Yokoyama said. "In addition to both Yakuza and Judgement, we are working on other unannounced titles too.”

It should be noted that the translation from Japanese to English is not clear cut in this instance, and so it is unclear how many unannounced titles Ryo Ga Gotoku is working on; it could be a single game or multiple new ones. Based on Yokoyama's statement about a wish to work on "all-new" games but only when the pieces are in place, though, it seems likely the in-production game(s) are from an existing series.

These new projects come in the wake of Yakuza series creator Toshihiro Nagoshi leaving the studio, along with previous studio head, Daisuke Sato.

“Although I do personally feel a little sad to take a new path without Mr Nagoshi and Mr (Daisuke) Sato, the staff have a strong sense of pride in what we are making," said Yokoyama. "The passion within the studio is hotter than ever.”

For more on the games of Ryo Ga Gotoku Studio, check out our reviews of Lost Judgement and Yakuza: Like a Dragon. And to buff up your series knowledge, check out the things you (probably) didn't know about Yakuza.

Matt Purslow is IGN's UK News and Entertainment Writer.

Continue reading...