Work on the site

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Vespin, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Vespin

Vespin Level 1

Credit:
    ₹0.0
    I've decided to make this a to-do list for moderators and admins so if any high rank personnel need to write something down post it and I'll edit it in.

In progress

projects page

things to do

work on members list, its inefficient right now

2. frostcollar

frostcollar Level 33

Credit:
    - ₹147.0
    The concept of the members list is fine, I think. It just is not always updated when new members are accepted.

The theme of the forums should be worked on. We need to make them look more military themed and less generic.

3. AlexDePolizis

AlexDePolizis Level 28

Credit:
    - ₹41.8
  4. Shapeshiftr

Shapeshiftr Level 32

Credit:
    - ₹20.8
    LuciferZ has said he's looking for a more military theme; I believe that's one of the reasons why the header "rmm.demannu.com ; Short description here" was around so longer. This was never meant to be a permanent theme.

I could write up a small PHP script that updates a list with all the enlisted members from the MySQL database that I'm sure phpBB uses. Basically, an automatically-updating member list, which would, yes, be an improvement.

5. frostcollar

frostcollar Level 33

Credit:
    - ₹147.0
    I know. It's just the subtitle disappeared yet the theme stayed.

An auto updating list would be great. Ranks would still have to be manually entered, rigt?

6. Shadowshot

Shadowshot Level 37

Credit:
    - ₹3.2
    Sorted by battalion would be a nice additional addon.

7. Shapeshiftr

Shapeshiftr Level 32

Credit:
    - ₹20.8
    I'll try; same with rank.

8. Vespin

Vespin Level 1

Credit:
    ₹0.0
    I think it would be easier to keep a members list if there was multiple, battalion specific lists which could be kept in battalion forums, which i think needs to be made so there can be subjects posted that only pertain to that battalion (such as strategy and projects).

9. Shapeshiftr

Shapeshiftr Level 32

Credit:
    - ₹20.8
    I think the general consensus, which I agree with, is that the current ability for anyone from any battalion to offer suggestions and participate in another battalion's discussions. However, I do think this could be achieved even with battalion-specific forums, and soldiers could subscribe to their battalion specific forum, and... There's many good reasons for battalion-specific subforums, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Anyway, there's a decision we have to make now: Do we want

A) An auto-updating list with just names, and ranks have to be added manually?

or

B) A manually updated list, with battalions, ranks, and any other information. This would be much more flexible, but takes more long-term work.

10. frostcollar

frostcollar Level 33

Credit:
    - ₹147.0
    Either would be fine. Rank and battalion is much easier to update manually. Having everything auto-update would be good, but I'm not sure it would be worth the work.

11. Shadowshot

Shadowshot Level 37

Credit:
    - ₹3.2
    Shape, It all depends on how much effort you (or whoever is doing this) wants to put in.

12. Vespin

Vespin Level 1

Credit:
    ₹0.0
    It may seem trivial, but I think the pros and cons should be directly compared.

auto-updating script: pros:little work on the script so its guaranteed to be 100% accurate on names. cons : if it would keep ranks and battalions that would have to be manually added, which would be akward with an automatically updating members list, that needed manual adjustments.

Battalion specific lists: pros: it would be a smaller list, run by that battalions major, this would allow for more accurate, easier to manage lists as long as the majors keep checking the enlistment forum.cons first you would have to make a battalion sub-forum which would be controversial and the lists idea would depend on the majors consistency on the site itself.

I would go with the 2nd, but I'm sure there's pros and cons I don't realize. your choice.

13. EmpiresBane

EmpiresBane Level 20

Credit:
    - ₹20.2
    Shape... I'm disappointed in you... You should know that you'll have to put info in by hand no matter what, and that it won't be too hard to set up script. Unless you know of some major PHP limitations that I don't. And what do you mean by auto-updating? Unless you can somehow access user groups, somebody still needs to add the names to a database.

hm... Now I'm thinking of looking up how this board will handle scripts... I *may* be able to do it, if it turns out not to have any weird rules.

So, we can either add a userlist page with the ranks and all that to another page on the forums, or we could add it to the rmm.demannu.com. Adding it to the main site would be easier in that it would be simpler to add authorized-only pages so that anyone who LuciferZ entrusts with the code can update the list. It wouldn't be to hard to set up an interface to edit and delete people on the list, either.

14. Shapeshiftr

Shapeshiftr Level 32

Credit:
    - ₹20.8
    Yeah, I was thinking, well, this board needs to store members of a usergroup somewhere, so if one could access that database through a PHP script... Eh, it was just a thought.

15. EmpiresBane

EmpiresBane Level 20

Credit:
    - ₹20.2
  16. EmpiresBane

EmpiresBane Level 20

Credit:
    - ₹20.2
    I'm wondering, who and what is hosting demannu.com? And if applicable, rmm.demannu.com?

17. The Noodle

The Noodle Level 48

Credit:
    - ₹76.1
    I'm happy to maintain a manual list if someone wants to provide me with headers. just putting it out there...

oh and I have a fair amount of free time so updates within 24 hours of new information being provided is a reasonable expectation :)

18. Shapeshiftr

Shapeshiftr Level 32

Credit:
    - ₹20.8
    EmpiresBane, CrazySpai hosts demannu.com.

19. izacque

izacque Level 37

Credit:
    ₹0.0
    you know, the RMM home page could use a little work... :/

20. EmpiresBane

EmpiresBane Level 20

Credit:
    - ₹20.2
    I think a theme for the forums needs to be set first. That way, it'll all fit in.