What's new

Ultimate Minecraft Guide [PART ONE]

Velocityshot

Level 30
Jul 19, 2011
Credits
Hi guys. In this thread, I will put all my helpful threads into one mega thread. So enough talk, here it is.

--

Fighting

I've been in many PvP servers and have had my fair share of battles, and am here to bring you all some tips! Keep in mind this is a WIP and it's very late at night . (Rushing this so I can get to sleep).

The first thing you want to do once you get in a PvP server is to obviously, get some wood. Many PvP servers are very grieved and the spawn will most likely be missing trees (from flint and tinder and other people chopping them down) for hundreds of blocks out. Just walk out as far as you can go before you see a tree, cut it down, and look for more. Where there is one, there will usually be more! I recommend 12 log pieces to be safe.

Make yourself a wood pick, mine 7/9 pieces of stone (9 if you want a sword too) and make a full tools set of stone. Look for nearby coal, and if not make charcoal with the wood you harvested. Use the coal/charcoal to make 1/2 a stack of torches. Now make a staircase straight down to layer 12. To check what layer you are on, press f3. While mining be sure to stay in sneak, since you will have to wait for the blocks to break before you can move forward, so sneaking wastes you no time. It's also not a bad idea to cover up your staircase! Also, use f3 to your advantage. Take note of how the x y and z increase/decrease as you move in a certain direction, they are vital for sharing "cords" of your base with friends or finding other people's. Learning to follow coordinates is a MUST.

Once at layer 12, make a shaft mine. One long tunnel, branches branching off 3 spaces apart. Mine for 5 diamonds. This might take a while but it'll be well worth it. Also, cook up any iron you find and try to get a full set (24) + 3 for a lava bucket. (you'll find plenty of lava at L12) Lava buckets are probably the most important piece of equipment you can have. Not just for the damage it causes either! With the new update, burning pigs dropped cooked meat! What does this mean? An infinite supply of food! Simply set the pig on fire, remove the lava, and smack it with your sword, free pork! (Without needing to cook it)

Once you have

- Full Iron

- D sword and pick (pick lasts forever <3)

- Lava Bucket

- Decent supply of wood

Start to make your base. Make sure it's underground with no visible entrance (cords come in handy now). Write down the cords of your base somewhere or even the exact spot where to dig to go in. I recommend 10 layers below earth but some people even go as low as bedrock. However keep in mind that shaft mines/strip mines at diamond level will most likely unveil your base. Which brings me to your mine, NEVER make a mine connected to your base, if someone s into it they don't even need to find your secret entrance. Also, hide ALL your chests, even if they are safely hidden in your base. Someone might into it (even if it's hidden). Make sure the hiding spot isn't obvious (2 dirt blocks in a smoothstone wall...)

Once you have established your base, mine a LOT and store all your iron+diamonds in your secret chest. Alternatively you can go raid someone, but finding a base is a lot harder than mining.

Moving on, combat. The first mistake EVERYONE makes is holding down their mouse! NEVER do this. Always rapidly click your mouse for best results, the more hits you land the better chance your opponent doesn't have time to eat. And also, ALWAYS have food on you. If they get a few hits on you with a diamond sword you're screwed, even with full diamond armor. Which brings me to my next point, in minecraft pvp, it's all about speed. You can't give them time to eat, get in there and smack em as much as you can before you yourself die, back out and eat, or if they're dead grab all their items. If your opponent prefers the bow simply hide behind a wall and let them come to you, just don't let them get too many d sword hits on you! Or you can get a bow of your own to fire back with, which I don't recommend as arrows are hard to get.

When in combat, ALWAYS strafe. At times, I've actually managed to strafe BEHIND my opponents because they just stand still, taking it while I bat away at them. This method is extremely effective against players who play with a low sensitivity. Which reminds me, turn up yours! You won't be doing any precise aiming in MC pvp, so it can't hurt to be able to react instantly to a hit from a d sword. A few hits from that can kill you, armor or not. Also, bobbing? I find it to be distracting in PvP. Turn it off. Unless you don't of course, but I can't understand why you wouldn't.

Remember, speed. Don't let them eat. And don't let them not let you eat. Know when to go in, know when to back out.

Now you've heard of one method at PvP. The second? My personal favorite, ambushes. Whether it be seeing someone's nametag underground (probably in their base), sighting someone from afar and stalking them, ambush is definitely fun! Now let's go back to that first scenario, seeing someone's name underground. What I usually like to do is approach from above. You can do it from below too, but they have the higher ground and thus the advantage. Also, you know that POP! noise when you collect blocks? They hear that as you dig down to them. I recommend you spread out your blocks (other than cobble) so that you won't pick up any cobble at you tunnel down at them. Once you break open and into their base simply kill them as fast as you can. If they have a bed in there somewhere make sure to destroy it.

Now I once read a guide on thieving and it said "don't be overly cruel". But I honestly don't see the point in this, it's a hardcore PvP server, do whatever the hell you want to their base/items. Raid their chests, burn what you can't fit (unless you are planning to come back for more), lava down their mines, things like that are fine in my book. Heck even lay out a little TNT trap for them once they come back. :3 always fun.

Remember, BE aggressive. Eating your food is a lot slower then just spamming back and killing them. Eating your food while trying to back away is the worst thing you can do if they have you in a sword lock, you can't back out of that.

--

Building

For this guide, I will be cover, building! Yes building! I ran out of ideas so this is all I could think of. So here it is:

Building. One of the main elements of MineCraft. Not all are talented at it, but most people wish to be. A good builder must have many things. One: A good, creative, imaginative mind. Two: A common sense, realistic state of mind. Three: They must have improvisation skills. When building, I like to first think of very basic things. First, texture packs. If you are a builder, you are probably building nice things so they look good to others. Well what you may deem nice, may be horrendous to others. There are ways to get across this, you may want to compare your texture pack to the default to see which blocks don't look good compared to your pack. Or you can just use default. I use DokuCraft Light. It is the most commonly used texture pack, and the good looking blocks are also good looking in the default pack.

Now to the actual building. If you aren't on a building (spawning) server, you may want to think about materials. Not all good building materials are easy to obtain. So we must use alternate materials, not the ones you can use in single player. I like to infuse all types of wood into my building. I've found that Birch walls with Redwood in the middle, separated every 2 blocks looks very nice. I've also found that double half stone walls with a wood strip in the middle looks fascinating. So now that we have some basic interior decorating down, lets expand. I suggest making an exterior wall, and interior wall different. What may look good on the outside can look terrible in the inside.

Inside your house, you don't want rooms. Rooms can make everything very bunchy, and limit your decorating. I like to use large rooms. Maybe 3 at most on a floor. Inside decorating is very important as well. I like to use a wood block, with half step of wood on top to mimic a counter top. For seats I like to use a log bock, with a fence on top, then a stair block on top of that. Also, make sure to put signs on the sides of your steps to make arm rests. Chandeliers of fence and glow stone can also look nice. One place many people go wrong is water. You never want to use too much water to decorate a house. I never ever use water. I strictly keep it to fountains. But we'll go over exterior decorating soon. Inside, colored wool and paintings can make your floors can walls look a lot less plain. You also want windows. You can never have enough windows. They let light in, and make your house / building look nice from both inside an outside. Also, its good to limit blocks like craft benches and chests. A few of them here and there look nice, but you don't want something like a craft room, at least above ground you don't. Keep the inside if your house strictly for show. Then put all your dirtier stuff below ground. Also, too many torches can ruin a hose, I like to put glow stone underneath windows. This can light your house, and give it a cool effect at night.

Now for the outside of your house. Not many people know how to go about this. The main thing I like to avoid is square houses. A fully square house looks very bad. One thing I like to do, is to start of with a rectangle, then cut in from the front, making a little ally where you can put flowers on each side, and have extravagantly large and slender (ha-ha I know) rooms. Roofing can also be tricky. A rooftop looks nice with just stairs. Make sure to corner your roof with half blocks. And cover any minor holes you may have from inside your house. Then cover them with an attic room. Outside of my house, I like to use different blocks. Sometimes sandstone can look nice, other times bricks can. Make the materials of the outside of your house blend with your surroundings. If your whole town has cobble walls, you don't want lime green walls! Make the colors blend, yet stand out. Also, be careful of balconies. They can look very unsightly if you don't build them correctly.

--

Thieving

On almost every Minecraft server I've been apart of, thieving has been my specialty. If you are not apart of a server with thieving (mostly certified as “raiding”) then this guide may not help you. Otherwise, read on!

As you can see, I've said “thieving” instead of raiding. This is for a reason that is more of my opinion. I think that thieving is more stealthy work, and raiding is more barbaric. Both topics will be covered in this post. I shall start with thieving.

Thieving can be very hard if you are not talented with sneaking. So as you apply my techniques, I'd advise to switch your sneak key to Caps Lock. This will make your sneak toggle-able, which can be handy if you are trying to do something, or just going A.F.K.(Away From the Keyboard). Notice that thieving requires a thief, not any player. You must play yourself in character (easier with an RP server). A thief is charming, generous, nice. For reasons that are obvious, to be less suspected of your secret deeds. Acting has an important part, you must be nice to some people, and a little above neutral to others. You cannot be a Disney Princess and sing and dance and be nice to all. Just play as a normal person, but be liked on the server. Be humorous, maybe hold a giveaway at spawn (About %20 of your stolen goods if you are talented). But enough of that, lets get in to the real tactics.

In this paragraph, I will be starting our adventure from scratch. Lets say you want to steal from someone. In any attempt possible, lure them to spawn. Say you have some type of surprise or something. But make it believable. Make sure you do not give out coordinates, for that'll seem as if you are going to kill them. They will believe you, and come to spawn if you play the character recommended. Now after you give them somewhat valuable items (no worries, we will take it back), go your separate ways. I like to say something like “Brb”. And wait for them to go back to their base. All you have to do now is follow them. Hopefully it is nighttime if you timed it right, but if not, you can still manage. Hide behind anything you can find, and do not have anything in your hands. For some items can protrude from your hand (like swords) and make you noticeable. If you come across a flat plain, I like to dig two blocks down and hide in the hole. Your slave will most likely not see you. When you get to their base it is good to look around before you go in (via FreeCam). If you are not a “Hacker” I recommend going to when they are offline. Next, put them under heavy surveillance, watch where their name holds for suspiciously ling periods, its most likely a chest. They sign off, heres your chance! Dig straight down to their base and steal what you can. Use chest finding tips that will be at the bottom of this post. Make sure you cover your tunnel going to their base, for some whiners will demand a block check.

In this paragraph, I will cover factions. Factions can have their own bases, with a set home and protection. There are two ways to go about this, either with an alternate account, or with wit. If you decide to use an alternate account, sign in, try to either type with terrible grammar if you usually type with good grammar, and vice versa. Just to further cover your cover. Now try with anything to get into the faction, I like to wait until they appear first with the /f list command, and say they are the first that came up. Once you are in, /f home. Now that you are here, make sure to write the base coordinates for future reference. Either gain their trust until they show you the secret chests, spy on members until they unveil it. Now for the wit part. For starters, you can ally the faction and help fight for them, gain their trust, and find their base. Explore, and stumble upon their claimed land, or message someone inside for the base coordinates. Either way, find the base. Note that you can access any chests that are not covered. Although, if they're covered with a half block or transparent block, you will be able to access them. This come in handy if you plan on breaking block to reveal their chests, and quickly right clicking before the block replaces due to it not being in you territory.

This is all I could think of, I will post more in the soon future. Please post any feedback or things you'd like to see. My raiding post will be written tomorrow.

Glitches: You can boost yourself to unreachable places by spamming blocks under you and jumping. This usually can only get you on top of blocks that are three blocks high. Do not use this if the server doesn't allow it.

Finding Chests: Look for areas that don't fit in (i.e. Two dirt blocks on a stone wall) or cobble stone/ gravel/dirt on the floor. People usually place chests underneath the floor. So mining the whole floor then replacing it can usually find you some good chests.

--'

So there it is. Everything you need to know to play MineCraft. Leave all your feedback / ideas below. I can write guides on anything you want, and give you tips!