What's new

Tim Schafer Wants Double Fine's Next Game To Be An Original Property

Double Fine founder and legendary game designer Tim Schafer has confirmed that, now that Psychonauts 2 is out in the wild, he wants his next game to be an original property and not an existing IP.

Speaking to IGN's Ryan McCaffrey after winning the New York Videogame Critics Circle's Andrew Yoon Legend Award, Schafer said that he really wants this next phase of Double Fine post-Psychonauts 2 to be filled with "new, original stuff."

"There's been some technical other games that I’ve worked on that have been sequels, but the first real big follow-up to a big story was Pscyhnonauts 2," Schafer said. "I think it leads me to want to do new, original stuff for the next phase. Coming up with new ideas is really where my head is at right now."

Since Double Fine is now part of Microsoft, Schafer was then asked if any of Xbox's available IP or franchises have piqued his interest. After joking about taking on King's Quest to finally get his revenge, he shared that ex-Double Fine programmer and designer Brad Muir had suggested they take on Warcraft Adventures. However, Schafer reiterated that the studio's future is all about original IP.

"Brad Muir was suggesting that we take on Warcraft Adventures, you know the Full Throttle-era adventure game that [Blizzard] made, but no, we like to make up our own stuff at Double Fine, so they will not be handing us any IPs," Schafer said.

For more, check out why Schafer doesn't want Psychonauts or any other Double Fine game turned into a movie, read our review of Psychonauts 2, and learn more about the studio that has confirmed it is already working on multiple projects.

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to newstips@ign.com.

Adam Bankhurst is a news writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter
@AdamBankhurst and on Twitch.

Continue reading...