What's new

Star Wars 1313 Concepts Seemingly Used in New Disney+ Shows

It looks as though The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett may have taken inspiration from the canceled video game, Star Wars 1313.

This article contains spoilers for the latest episode of The Book of Boba Fett!

Game designer Grant Parker revealed on Twitter that he worked on the long-canceled Star Wars action-adventure, and noted that some of the game's concept designs seem to have popped up on the Disney+ Star Wars shows.

“I did some early pre-pro work on a bar in this section,” he said in response to a video featuring his level designs. “And some of the planning for a meat factory (you see the hanging tauntaun carcasses). It was the first professional level design work I ever did. It was very important to me. Happy to see it again.”

Fun Fact: a lot of excellent early concept stuff from 1313 has been repurposed and used in Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett. I was so happy the latest episode even had a meat locker with tauntauns in it.

— Grant Parker 💙 (@GrantPDesign) January 27, 2022

It seems Parker and the 1313 team's work was important to Lucasfilm too, as the scene appears to have made its way into The Book of Boba Fett in a new form.

“Fun Fact: a lot of excellent early concept stuff from 1313 has been repurposed and used in Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett,” he added. “I was so happy the latest episode even had a meat locker with tauntauns in it.”

The scene he’s referring to is, of course, the rather awesome return of The Mandalorian in this week’s episode of The Book of Boba Fett. Din Djarin made quite an entrance this week as he hacked and slashed his way through a meat locker using the Darksaber.

His appearance gives us a huge hint about what to expect in The Mandalorian Season – but it’s also almost exactly as Parker described in Star Wars 1313.

Parker seems to imply that he's spotted more elements of 1313 – perhaps that we haven't seen publicly – within the recent Disney+ shows.

In the video near the start of this story, our own Brian Altano has noted that the recently released Star Wars 1313 footage looks strikingly similar to the roof-top chase from the very first episode of The Book of Boba Fett.

Star Wars 1313 was a promising-looking game built around playing as Boba Fett in an Uncharted-like action-adevnture. The game was sadly canceled when Disney purchased the Star Wars franchise and shut down LucasArts. However, it seems some of the hard work done on the game has been of use in new ways.

Will we see even more once-canceled content from Star Wars 1313 make it into the shows? That’s something we likely won’t know for sure. But wherever there’s a wretched hive of scum and villainy, we’ll now be wondering where it sprang from.

The Book of Boba Fett stars Temuera Morrison as the iconic former bounty hunter, alongside Ming-Na Wen as Fennec Shand. Pedro Pascal joined this week as Din Djarin, as well as Matt Berry, David Pasquesi, and Carey Jones.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...