What's new

Square Enix Still in Discussions With Xbox About Final Fantasy 14, But Talks Are 'Positive'

Final Fantasy 14 director and producer Naoki Yoshida says that discussions between Square Enix and Microsoft to bring the game to Xbox are 'positive', but still ongoing.

In an interview with Easy Allies, Yoshida talked further about the current status of an Xbox version of Final Fantasy 14. While the director was hesitant to confirm any new details surrounding the game, he did point out that talks between Square Enix and Microsoft have taken a positive turn.

"So I feel bad for saying the same thing every time," said Yoshida when asked if there was any news on an Xbox version of FF14. "But we are still in discussions with Microsoft and I feel like our conversations are going in a positive tone. I don't want to say that we do not have an Xbox version but I'm hoping that the timing will be very soon that I'll have some kind of update to the players.

"I'm sure that there's a lot of things that people want to ask about on the subject and there's a lot of things that I would love to share but I'm afraid I'm unable to divulge on those details."

Despite its current lack of an Xbox port, the game has performed exceedingly well across PC and PlayStation consoles. Following a soft reboot with Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn and a number of subsequent expansions, the MMORPG has seen growing popularity over the past few years. This year alone, the game has seemed as popular as ever, with speculation even suggesting that Square Enix may have temporarily halted digital sales for the game due to briefly over-congested servers.

During a hands-on preview event for the game's upcoming Endwalker expansion, Yoshida spoke further about the popularity of FF14. During the event, the director confirmed that the MMORPG has become the most profitable game in the Final Fantasy series to date and that it had recently surpassed 24 million players worldwide.

Final Fantasy 14: Endwalker is set to launch on November 23. As well as featuring hours and hours of new story content, the expansion will also include several new areas and two new job classes. IGN was recently given the opportunity to try out some of the various new features coming to Endwalker. To see what we thought, make sure to check out this article detailing everything we learned from the Final Fantasy 14: Enwalker preview.

Jared Moore is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...