What's new

Resident Evil Village Reportedly Almost Had Mermaid Monsters

An earlier version of Resident Evil Village reportedly had mermaid-style monsters.

A series of tweets from known Resident Evil leaker Dusk Golem claims that the swamp area of the game once featured mermaid-like enemies before it underwent a major rework.

Dusk Golem claimed that in this early version the player had to traverse through the swamp, choosing between walking on land or wading through water, while being stalked by "a slimy-sorta Tyrant-like creature" that was likely Moreau, the area's final boss.

(1/7) I was thinking about this, so going to talk about it. Moreau's area RE8 was trimmed a lot, I don't think I've actually sat down & fully explained what I knew about Moreau's swamp area pre it being trimmed, so I think I'll do so now.

Moreau's section was cut a lot because pic.twitter.com/CVwAjMc4qm

— AestheticGamer aka Dusk Golem (@AestheticGamer1) April 6, 2022

The mermaids would hunt protagonist Ethan while he was in the water and stun him on land, leaving the player wide open for an attack from the stalker.

Dusk Golem also said this version of the sequence had "weird ritual type stuff" with Lycans and "Witches", though these were essentially clones of Dimitriscu's vampiric daughters that Ethan fights earlier in the game.

Plans were allegedly changed for this portion of the game as developer Capcom didn't have the time or budget to bring it up to a high standard, instead opting to cut a lot of content.

Some of these ideas are reflected in the final version of Resident Evil Village though. The player is chased through a portion of the swamp by Moreau and the final fight against him isn't just an open boss-arena but instead features separate lanes that sound somewhat like this early version.

In our 8/10 review, we said: "Resident Evil Village is a genuinely engrossing and increasingly combat-heavy continuation of the Ethan Winters story."

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer who occasionally remembers to tweet @thelastdinsdale. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...