What's new

Rainbow Six Siege Has Changed Creative Director for the Third Time

As Rainbow Six Siege moves towards its seventh year, Ubisoft has announced that new creative director has been appointed.

As revealed on Ubisoft's website, the game's current creative director, Leroy Athanassoff, will be leaving Siege to work on other Ubisoft-made games projects. Siege's art director, Alexander Karpazis, will step up to fill the role. This change in staff marks the third time that the game has introduced a new creative director over its almost seven year lifespan.

In light of his departure, Athanassoff spoke briefly about his decision to leave the position. "I wanted to let you know that due to personal reasons, I will be leaving my role of Creative Director on Siege to pursue other opportunities at Ubisoft," said Athanassoff in a statement.

"This isn’t a decision I make lightly – I love this game and this community, and I’m so proud of everything our team has accomplished together over the last two years – but I’m confident that it’s the right one, and the team has given me their full support. Don’t worry, I won’t be going too far, and I have a feeling that my journey with this incredible game is far from over."

While Athanassoff's time in the position may be coming to an end, the creative director spoke highly of his replacement, Karpasiz. "Having worked with him for four years, I can attest to not only his skill and talent, but also to his passion for Siege. I’ve seen firsthand the dedication he’s brought to creating fun, engaging features that fans love. I have no doubt that he will continue to build on this amazing game and offer even more content and innovation to Siege players."

As part of the same post, Karpasiz delved into his own journey with Siege, which started when the project was back in alpha, competing as a fan in tournaments. The newly-appointed creative director has spent the last four years working at Ubisoft on Siege, and went on to thank Athanassoff for his mentorship during that time before also briefly addressing the game's community.

"[Athanassoff's] taught me what exemplary leadership, creativity, and passion look like in the position of Creative Director," says Karpazis. "Leroy’s hard work will be visible in future seasons as the team and I prepare for one of the most ambitious years in Siege’s history. I’m extremely humbled by the team’s trust in me, and I hope to earn the trust of the community in my new role as well."

Despite moving toward its seventh year since launch, the online tactical shooter remains popular with its community. While the game has seen a slight decrease in player count over recent months (as shown in data published by SteamDB), Ubisoft has continued to show support for the shooter, producing a range of new content for fans to delve into. Most recently, this came in the form of the Siege's Snow Brawl event, which brought with it a winter theme and played out a little like an international snowball fight.

To keep up with the latest from Rainbow Six Siege as it takes direction from its new leadership, make sure to check out our dedicated page for the game, which is packed with more news, trailers, and clips from the online shooter.

Jared Moore is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...