What's new

Overwatch League Pro Kim "Alarm" Kyeong-Bo Dies, Aged 20

Overwatch League pro and Philadelphia Fusion member Kim "Alarm" Kyeong-Bo has died aged 20.

Kim's passing was announced on the Philadelphia Fusion Twitter page. A cause of death has not been provided.

"We are devastated and heartbroken to hear about Kim 'Alarm' Kyeong-Bo's passing," a statement from the team reads. "Alarm was the heart and soul of our organisation, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends as we mourn this tragic loss. The Kim family and the Fusion ask for privacy during this incredibly difficult time”, the statement concludes."

Born in 2001, Kim became known for his skill as a brilliant flex support player. As reported by DotEsports, during his time in the role, Kim won the 2020 Overwatch Rookie of the Year award, a Role Stars award, and an MVP nomination within the same year. At the time, Fusion said that they were "unbelievable proud" of everything that he'd gone on to achieve and that he was "more than deserving" of the title of Rookie of the Year.

We are UNBELIEVABLY proud of everything @alarm has accomplished during his first year in the league, from Role Star, to MVP Candidate, he is more than deserving of the title...#OWL2020 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!

Congratulations Alarm! #PhillyPower pic.twitter.com/u8xiSJpKsh

— Philadelphia Fusion (@Fusion) October 3, 2020

Since Kim's passing, a number of fans and players have taken to social media with tributes. "I'm heartbroken Alarm was like a little brother to me," said Kim's former teammate Poko. "The kid was genuinely cracked at overwatch and an incredible teammate to work with. I’ve got so many good memories with you, I’ll miss ur positive attitude and our gym sessions together."

"I am at a loss for words," said another fan on social media. "Alarm was a one-of-a-kind talent an inspiration to me and many others. I wish for the best for his family and friends. There will never be another like alarm. Thank you for all you have done."

While tributes from across the Overwatch and eSports community continue to pour in, we here at IGN would also like to extend our thoughts to Kim's family and friends at this time.

Jared Moore is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...