What's new

Making a laptop over summer

Harv0kz

Level 34
Feb 18, 2011
Credits
This is my latest -prone to failure, but big payoff- project: build a gaming laptop from scratch.

I've done research about where to friken buy barebones and how to build, but I don't know which one is best.

I'm looking for a recommended build that can game high end stuff like crysis 2, but no on a super high scale, while preserving portability.

final note: I have a special condition for both the core processor and graphics card. Intel and ATI Raedon only.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
Good luck building a laptop from scratch, you will need it =P

in the case for a laptop, is cheaper to buy one then to build one, esp a gaming rig >.<

but CPU, go for a mobile Sandy Bridge i7, and graphics, Radeon 5870M or 6970M

Harv0kz

Level 34
Feb 18, 2011
Credits
I want the experience anyways lol, and yea... I just wanna spend 2 months doing something productive, rather than mindlessly gaming and fearing grade 11. Besides, at least I can try make something that dominates a mac.

and should I get Asus C90S barebone, or should I get something else? Because C90 keeps showing up when I Google for a good gaming barebone.

one more thing, can I go higher than 6 cell batteries on some models?

final note: I persuaded my parents, and I trololol at this, that making one is actually cheaper... dads going to kill me when he sees the bill :p

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
Well, I can always give as newegg link to a really expensive laptop, that your should be cheaper than.

I have no clue how building a laptop goes D: If it was a desktop I could give all kinds of advice.

Most i can do with laptops is to suggest Operating systems, RAM, CPU,HDD,Graphics and that junk :p

Harv0kz

Level 34
Feb 18, 2011
Credits
Hmm......

With a barebone laptop, it comes with some things, like motherboard, speakers maybe, etc

I'm sure in adding 6970M and i7 core into the mix.

however, 3 problems arise:

1) I'm noob (hence why I'm taking two months, not 2 hours) at this stuff, so its a problem that I have to run around websites finding a barebone that is compatible with the things I am using, unless I'm talking derp here.

2) HDD... I'm confused... is it that if the HDD rpm is faster=faster boot up speed? A recommendation if I want something 500GB??

3) RAM... what should I get?? No clue here at all.

4) OS, is the torrent for windows 7 ultimate x64 worth it? or should I burn more money to buy official? Or reuse professional (what I'm using now)

and from the videos I've seen, its basically like extremely delicate Lego... except you can burn about $2k of equipment in one error.

M1_Mercenary

Level 48
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 14, 2010
Credits
Hmm......

and from the videos I've seen, its basically like extremely delicate Lego... except you can burn about $2k of equipment in one error.

So true!

I suggest 4GB of RAM, as more is generally a waste unless your doing photoshop and stuff, games 4GB does fine.

with Hard Drives, what do you plan to do with this PC, my only recommendation is a 7200RPM drive, the size of the drive depending on how you use it (I am glad I didn't get a 500GB HDD with my desktop, as I have already used about 450GB.)

I have never torrented an OS, so i have no clue if that is worth it. If your gonna use the 6970M graphics, Windows 7 is required to make use of its DirectX 11 capabilities.

Im using Windows 7 Professional 64bit on this PC, if that helps any.

Harv0kz

Level 34
Feb 18, 2011
Credits
Okay... I'm still looking for techniques/Barebone that can accommodate the heavy artillery I'm using. Also looking on how to actually move the parts around once I have them. However, this data is goddamn rare as Minecraft Skeleton Jockeys.

And Noodle, link is very appreciated, but nothing homosex please.

holidaY

Level 20
Jan 30, 2011
Credits
I find the idea of making a 'gaming' laptop stupid, unless you put effort into cooling it sufficiently, a lot of the hardware designed for laptops is for mobility, not performance.

Harv0kz

Level 34
Feb 18, 2011
Credits
AAAHHHH it has a Nvidia card!!!

It buuuurrrrrrnnnnnnsssss

lol jk

but yea... I like MSI, I'm using one now... had to set everything to low and resize screen just to play campaign of Crysis 2 though

Aggravate

Level 32
Oct 14, 2010
Credits
If I were you I would buy a shitty laptop (decent quad core CPU, 2 gigs of RAM and like a 50 gb HD).

Buy an awesome ethernet card and buy a decent server, 12 gigs of RAM, a good 12 core server CPU and ask to include a decent video card (check to see if the server motherboard supports video cards, most of them will have on board GPUs and no slots for video cards). Make sure you get a good 50mb line and connect to the server with your shitop.

Congratulations you are now remotely playing Crysis 2 on max graphics on a laptop with no video card (you might need a bad one, just good enough to watch HD movies).