What's new

How Long is Ghostwire: Tokyo?

Ghostwire: Tokyo has a haunted, open-world Shibuya to discover, but just how long is the game? Here we’ll let you know exactly how many hours it took different members of the IGN team to finish the game, and what they prioritised doing with that time.

How Long Is Ghostwire: Tokyo?

• Our fastest player finished Ghostwire: Tokyo in 15 hours.
  • Our “slowest” player spent 24 hours before credits rolled.

Everyone plays games differently, so read on for more details about how everyone played, how long it took to reach the credits, and how much extra time it took to fully explore a spooky Shibuya. Once you've finished the game yourself, be sure to submit your times on How Long To Beat and see how your time compares!

Cam Shea, Reviewer & IGN AU Lead

Amazingly, it appears that I've spent more than 24 hours quietly sobbing into sequential glasses of sake while exploring the world of Ghostwire: Tokyo. My tears, however, are not strictly out of sadness, but also of joy. For this game possesses an incredible ability. It's capable of taking me out of my current, hellish existence - surrounded by loved ones and craft breweries here in Sydney - and to catapult me to the happiest place on Earth - Japan.

Ghostwire: Tokyo has its flaws, but an inaccurate depiction of a modern Japanese metropolis is not one of them, so I spent a huge amount of my time with the game looking for excuses to go to new areas on the map. I cleansed torii gates and rescued clumps of spirits. So many clumps! I punched my way into a small fortune in Meika, tracked down tanukis in disguise and caught - well, ambled after - yokai. I even patted more Shiba Inus than really makes sense, stealth-killed more schoolgirls than can possibly be healthy and did a bunch of pretty crazily dull side-quests. Eventually, though, my Tokyo wanderlust caught up to gameplay reality and a reckoning was had. The short version is that I LOVE the verisimilitude of this setting, but very few of the things to do really, truly commanded my attention. So, reluctantly, I pressed ahead with the main story and said goodbye to the kingdom of dreams and madness. It was a sweet 24-hour love affair, and I hope to see you soon - for real - Tokyo, my sweet prince.

Matt Purslow, News and Entertainment Writer

It took me a swift 15 hours to complete Ghostwire: Tokyo. In that time I managed to finish out the story, check off 15 side quests, and fully reveal the map by cleansing each and every torii gate in Shibuya. As you can imagine, there’s a lot left in the streets of Tokyo for me to do; there are dozens of side quests left unsolved, a whole bunch of tanuki and yokai to be found, and quite literally hundreds of spirits to be absorbed into paper dolls and transferred into telephones.

Am I going to do any of that though? Probably not. Much like Cam, I love the city that developer Tango Gameworks has created, but have little affection for the activities that litter its authentic streets. I’m not really into collectable hunts, but that’s unfortunately what makes up a substantial part of this game beyond the main story. I feel like, for my personal tastes, 15 hours gave me just what I needed from Ghostwire: Tokyo; a weekend digital trip to an astonishingly realized Shibuya haunted by some of the most stylish ghosts I’ve ever seen.

Dale Driver, Senior Video Producer

When I rolled credits on Ghostwire Tokyo my game time was 16 hours, although it could have been a lot sooner if I didn’t decide to halt my progress and return to side quests once the game presented the point of no return. I estimate I likely could have mainlined the story in around 13 hours.

That being said I did feel like I got my fill of side quests and activities. I’d by no means cleared the map, but I did manage to cleanse all the Torii gates and pray to a fair amount of Jizo statues during my playthrough.

I am however, a keen trophy hunter, so I couldn’t resist diving back in. I’m now at 24 hours I’m well on my way to dinging that precious platinum, which I suspect is only a few more hours away, but my god are there a sh*t load of spirits to collect in this game!

Mark Medina, Editorial Producer

I started Ghostwire: Tokyo the same way I begin every open-world game: I almost refuse to progress the main story while there are side activities to be done. Of course, this mentality only lasts for about the first half of the game before I decide to just mainline the story until I’ve finished the game. By the time credits rolled, my in-game timer said I was at just over 18 hours.

Truth be told, Ghostwire: Tokyo seems fairly on the short side as far as open-world games go. If you weren’t interested in any of the side activities, I theorize that you could probably finish the main story in 13 to 14 hours, though, that’s mostly a guess. And now that I’ve finished, I imagine I’m around 5-6 hours until it’s fully completed. It’s hard to say, the sidequests are quick to get through, but I have no idea how hard some of these collectables are going to be to find. And like Dale mentioned earlier, there are a LOT of spirits to collect. Like, SO MANY!

For more on Ghostwire: Tokyo, check out our guide and walkthrough.

Continue reading...