What's new

Every Modern Game IGN Has Given a 10/10

Below is a compilation of every game IGN scored a 10 out of 10, reaching all the way back to 2008's Metal Gear Solid 4 (and a couple of older favorites because why not).

With the exception of some of the much older titles, you should still be able to find and play all these games on Amazon or through Steam, Xbox, or the PlayStation stores. With backwards compatibility becoming increasingly common, it's possible you could just dust off your original copies and play those, but no promises.

Elden Ring

Reviewed February 23, 2022

From our Elden Ring review by Mitchell Saltzman: It is no exaggeration to say that Elden Ring is FromSoftware’s largest and most ambitious game yet, and that ambition has more than paid off. Even after 87 hours of blood, sweat, and tears that included some of the most challenging fights I’ve ever fought, and innumerable surprises, there are still bosses that I left on the table, secrets that I’ve yet to uncover, sidequests that I missed out on, tons of weapons, spells, and skills that I’ve never used. And this is all on top of PVP and cooperative play that I’ve barely been able to scratch the surface of. Throughout it all, while the fundamentals of combat haven’t changed much from what we’ve seen before, the enormous variety of viciously designed enemies and the brutal but surmountable bosses have brought its battles to a new level. Even with all the threads I didn’t manage to tug on my first playthrough (of what I’m sure will be several), what I was treated to can easily be held amongst the best open-world games I’ve ever played. Like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild before it, Elden Ring is one that we’ll be looking back on as a game that moved a genre forward.

See it at Amazon

Forza Horizon 5

Reviewed November 11, 2021

From our Forza Horizon 5 review by Luke Reilly: Forza Horizon 5 is a deep and nuanced car nirvana for revheads and auto geeks to endlessly collect, tinker, and experiment. It’s also an extremely accessible buffet of racing spectacle open to everyone, from Deluxe Edition diehards to Game Pass nomads – no matter their driving skill or mechanical knowledge. It’s an occasionally goofy but always earnest Valentine to Mexico’s world-famous culture, and a romantic ode to the magic of road-tripping through postcard-perfect vacation vistas. It’s a long haul, MMO-inspired racer that’s exploding with more races, activities, and event types than can comfortably fit on some parts of the map – and yet it still always feels relaxed rather than daunting. It never locks you into something you don’t want to do and steadily rewards you for however you choose to play it. It looks beautiful, it sounds magnificent, and it is glorious to play. Yes, Forza Horizon 5 is a lot of things. Above all, however, it is the result of a racing studio at the peak of its craft and the best open-world racing game I’ve ever played.

See it at Amazon

Spelunky 2

Reviewed September 14, 2020

From our Spelunky 2 review by Mitchell Saltzman: I wasn’t sure what I wanted out of a sequel to Spelunky, given how high of a pedestal I keep the original game on – how do you improve upon a game like that? But Mossmouth took its time and managed to deliver a masterpiece that improves upon its predecessor in ways I never even would have imagined. Spelunky 2 takes everything that made the original great and expands upon each of those individual aspects without ever over complicating the elegant, retro simplicity of its 2D platforming. It doesn’t do much to win over people who already weren’t fans of the original’s unforgiving difficulty, but as someone who is more than 200 runs in and feels like he’s only scratched the surface, Spelunky 2 is a game that I see myself playing for a long, long time.

See it at the Nintendo eShop

Crusader Kings 3

Reviewed August 31, 2020

From our Crusader Kings 3 review by Leana Hafer: Crusader Kings 3 is a superb strategy game, a great RPG, and a master class in how to take the best parts of existing systems and make them deeper and better. I have thousands of hours in the previous game, and I expect to spend at least that many in this third installment. All of the engrossingly flawed characters and stories of love, war, triumph, and loss that have already dynamically emerged from my playthroughs feel like just the beginning of something legendary. In fact, if I had to pick only one game to play for the rest of my life, the decision wouldn’t be that difficult. A new king of historical strategy has been crowned. Long live the king.

See it at Green Man Gaming

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Reviewed August 17, 2020

From our Microsoft Flight Simulator review by Seth G. Macy: Microsoft Flight Simulator is legitimately incredible. It's difficult to fully describe how amazing it feels to jump into a plane and have the freedom fly to and from literally any place in the entire world. The base game's 20 included aircraft feel like more than enough for even hardcore aviation enthusiasts, and the ability to adjust the assists to tailor the experience to whatever skill level you desire makes it suitable for anyone looking to fly the friendly skies from the comfort of their home. The real-world mapping data, however, takes Microsoft Flight Simulator from being just an impressive game to the most awe-inspiring simulation I've ever experienced, in spite of its less than stellar load times. Seeing famous landmarks, landing at the world's most recognizable airports, or just touching down in a remote landing strip in South America is mind-bogglingly cool and an absolutely unparalleled way to virtually explore our world.

See it at Amazon

The Last of Us, Part 2

Reviewed June 30, 2020

From our review by Jonathon Dornbush: The Last of Us Part 2 is a masterpiece worthy of its predecessor. Taking strides forward in nearly every way, Ellie steps into the spotlight and carries the sequel in a manner that feels like the culmination of everything that’s made Naughty Dog’s blockbuster storytelling so memorable since the original Uncharted on the PlayStation 3. It delivers a layered, emotionally shattering story on top of stealth and action gameplay that improves the first game’s mechanics while integrating a bit more of Uncharted’s greater mobility and action. But while Part 2 is a thrilling adventure, it still makes time for a stunning, nuanced exploration of the strength and fragility of the human spirit. The PlayStation 4 has one of its best exclusives in one of the generation’s best games.

See it at Amazon

Persona 5 Royal

Reviewed May 13, 2020

From our review by TJ Hafer: Persona 5 was already a strong front-runner for being the best JRPG ever made, and Royal really gets me wondering what else could even compete. The excellent story and its lovable, multidimensional characters along with the challenging, tactical combat are all refined and back for another round with new surprises and new friends in tow. There are new areas to explore and new twists to leave your jaw on the floor. Very little has been left untouched, and just about everything that has been touched is better off for it. The Phantom Thieves have stolen my heart all over again, and I don’t really want it back.

See it at Amazon

Half-Life: Alyx

Reviewed March 23, 2020

Not only is Half-Life: Alyx the first game IGN has given a 10/10 since late 2018, it's also the first VR game IGN has ever awarded a "Masterpiece" score. Filling an eight-year gap in the series, Half-Life: Alyx takes places prior to the events of Half-Life 2 and follows Alyx Vance as she and her father fight against an alien threat known as the Combine. In our Half-Life: Alyx review, we said, "Valve has set a new bar for VR in interactivity, detail, and level design, showing what can happen when a world-class developer goes all-in on the new frontier of technology."

See it on Steam

Red Dead Redemption 2

Reviewed October 25, 2018

With a 60-hour main story and a masterfully crafted and fully realized world, it's easy to see why IGN awarded Red Dead Redemption 2 a coveted 10/10. In the game, players will saddle up with Arthur Morgan for a wild-west adventure of a lifetime. The Red Dead Redemption sequel, which is technically a prequel, hits all of the right notes and showcases staggering attention to detail. All of this combined with an immersive world, engaging story, and plenty of cowboy antics lends to what is an absolute masterpiece of a game.

See it at Walmart

God of War

Reviewed April 12, 2018

God of War, one of the most critically acclaimed games in the PlayStation 4 era, provides a breath of fresh air to a beloved franchise. The game sheds a different light on the main protagonist Kratos and tells a compelling story about a father and son. While the idea of spreading Kratos' wife's ashes at the top of a mountain may seem simple, it's anything but. A beautiful design, a reimagined Kratos, and an emotionally captivating story all work together beautifully to make God of War a true masterpiece.

See it at Walmart

Celeste

Reviewed January 25, 2018

The most recent indie title to receive 10 from IGN, Celeste is a true platformer from top to bottom. In our Celeste review, we said, "The greatest triumph of Celeste is that its best-in-class jumping and dashing is blended beautifully with an important and sincere story and an incredible soundtrack that make it a genuinely emotional game, even when your feet are planted firmly on the ground." If you're a fan of platformers, then Celeste is not an experience you'll want to miss out on.

See it on the Nintendo eShop

Super Mario Odyssey

Reviewed October 26, 2017

This is one of my favorite games in recent memory, and it's an absolute delight. This is a must-have for Switch owners. One of my favorite gaming moments, ever, is in this game. I won't spoil it if you haven't gotten around to playing it, but it's such a love letter to gaming it warms my heart. In our Super Mario Odyssey review, we said its challenge "lies in its exploration," and exploring this vibrant, colorful world is pure delight.

See it at Walmart

Undertale

Reviewed August 15, 2017

Another indie title to receive a 10/10 from IGN — this time it's an RPG. Played from a top-down perspective, Undertale tells the story of a child who falls into the Underground, a realm inhabited by banished monsters who were once equal to humans. If you've already played the game, you're probably super, really, insanely into it, as it has a cult-like following. In our Undertale review, we called it a "masterfully crafted experience" that has a "great understanding of the RPG player’s mindset."

See it at GameStop (Digital)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Reviewed on March 2, 2017

This isn't only one of my favorite games on this list, it's one of my favorite games of all time. I absolutely fell in love with Breath of the Wild and in the 150+ hours I spent playing it, never lost that sense of wonder that swept over me from the second I stepped out of the cave and into its world. Our Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild review basically agrees with me, which lends me some credibility. Finally.

See it at Walmart

Inside

Reviewed June 28, 2016

Serving as a spiritual successor to Playdead's 2010 Limbo, Inside is a puzzle-platform adventure game that takes you deep inside a disturbed world. The goal here is simple — survive — but it won't be quite that simple, as you'll quickly find out. The game continues to build off of the foundation built by Limbo and offers an ending that just might leave you in awe. In our Inside review, we said, "Its unimaginable twist may leave you dumbfounded, confused, and quite possibly speechless."

See it at Amazon

The Witness

Reviewed January 25, 2016

If you're a fan of puzzle games, The Witness should be at the top of your list. However, it's a unique puzzle game in that it doesn't confine you to a simple case of increasingly-difficult, linear progression. There's so much to see and do in The Witness, and its beautiful art style will keep you coming back for more. In our Witness review, we called it a "graceful combination of tangible goals, obscurity, and freedom," and it's a classic that should be experienced by everyone.

See it at GameStop

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Reviewed August 24, 2015

This is my other most-favorite game on this list. I love Metal Gear Solid V, way more than I expected. In our Metal Gear Solid V review, we lauded its creativity and intelligent approach to missions — and I have to agree. You can hide from enemies in a porto-potty and then play a tape of a guy having painful diarrhea as a way to throw guards off your trail. I am 100% serious. This might be my favorite game of all time. Our Metal Gear Solid 5 review echoes my personal feelings.

See it on Amazon

Grand Theft Auto 5

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Grand Theft Auto V is one of the best known, most successful games in gaming history. In our GTA V review, we called it a landmark game, but no one could have predicted the enormous level of success it's enjoyed since launch. Currently, over 100 million copies of Grand Theft Auto 5 have been sold since it first appeared on our PS3s and Xbox 360s, and that number is only continuing to grow.

See it at Amazon

The Last of Us Remastered

Reviewed July 28, 2014

It's pretty hard to say anything about The Last of Us that hasn't already been said a million times. This is the pinnacle of the PS3 era, and the remaster on PS4 was a welcome addition to the console's library early on. If you haven't played it yet, you still have time to work your way through before The Last of Us 2 launches in 2020. In our The Last of Us review, we said the best game on PS3 was now the best game on PS4, and that pretty much sums up the story of the game.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Reviewed November 11, 2011

I own this game and yet I have to admit... I never got around to playing it. I know, right? The worst. It's the only Zelda game on console I haven't played and I guess my weekend plans are locked. In our Skyward Sword review, we called it "the Wii game we've been waiting for," and it's certainly one of the best of that generation. This is another game we scored a controversial 10/10, to be sure, but there's no denying its a game at least worth experiencing.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Uncharted is one of PlayStation's most beloved and popular franchises, and Uncharted 3 simply builds on a firm foundation set before it by previous titles. The third installment continues to expand on Nathan Drake's story as he searches for the lost city of Iram of the Pillars. If you're a fan of this franchise and haven't played Uncharted 3, you're missing out. In our Uncharted 3 review, we said, "If you’re willing to skip Uncharted 3, be prepared to miss one of gaming’s finest moments."

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Reviewed November 30, 2010

When this game came out, I played the first board relentlessly, honing my abilities until I was ranked 127 in the world. I was never able to break the top 100, which was a real bummer, a failure that still haunts me to this day. However, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is a must-play for old school gamers and newcomers alike. Our Pac-Man Championship Edition DX review points out how the simplicity of gameplay is perfectly juxtaposed by the complexity of mastery.

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

Reviewed October 27, 2010

Undead Nightmare, not Red Dead Redemption, is the first game IGN scored a 10 in this series. The Game of the Year edition is the best value for your buck. In our Undead Nightmare review we said there's "a lot of fun to be had," and what's even better is that Red Dead Redemption has Xbox One X support, so you can play this on your modern hardware and have it look sharper than it ever was imagined to look.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Reviewed May 20, 2010

Let's all work together to wish upon a star and hope our collective magic works to convince Nintendo to bring this amazing game to the Switch. It took everything great and amazing about the original Mario Galaxy game and did it even better, creating one of the best video games of all time and is certainly one of the most memorable titles from the Wii era. Don't believe me? Check out our Super Mario Galaxy 2 review. It's got my back.

Grand Theft Auto IV

Reviewed December 2, 2008

Grand Theft Auto IV took the promise of GTA3's Liberty City and turned it into something glorious. While the success of GTA V has cast a shadow over GTA IV, it's still considered by many to be one of the best games in the series. In it, players will be able to explore the ins and outs of New York City like never before. In our GTA IV review, we said, "The overall GTA formula has been refined and retooled in this version to be more convenient, more realistic, and ultimately more mature."

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Reviewed June 12, 2008

Here is another collection that's the perfect way to play a 10/10 game. I bought this collection specifically to play MGS4 but found myself replaying all the earlier games in the series, too. It even has the original Metal Gear and the MGS VR Missions. In our Metal Gear Solid 4 review, we praised the "sheer depth" found within the game and asked the age-old question: "Is it possible to give a game an 11?" Turns out... it isn't.

Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue

Reviewed June 24, 1999

It's hard to imagine now, but when Pokemon was first introduced to the West, there were only 151 of the little buggers to catch. Catching them all was a very real possibility, but now, it's practically impossible to catch 'em all, but we'll continue on, a united people chasing the Pokemon master's dreams. In our Pokemon Red review, we said, "Pokemon really is worthy of being one of the Game Boy system's greatest games, it's not just a fad, a craze, or trend," and boy were we right. casually mention how the entire world was obsessed with catching all those pocket monsters.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Reviewed November 25, 1998

With all that talk about Breath of the Wild up there, I almost forgot about my other favorite Zelda, Ocarina of Time. The 3DS remake is probably the best way to replay this amazing classic, and it still holds up. Really well, actually. The wonder I first felt when I played this game on N64 wasn't replicated again until I played Breath of the Wild. Check out our original, super-old Ocarina of Time review from 1998 by some guy named Peer Schneider. Whatever happened to that dude?

Seth Macy is Executive Editor, IGN Commerce, and just wants to be your friend. You can find him hosting the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast.

Continue reading...