What's new

DC Returns to the World of Injustice in Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent

Superman's son Jon Kent is spinning out into a new DC Comics series called Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent, but there's a big piece of the story DC hasn't revealed until now. The series will feature Jon crossing over into the Injustice: Gods Among Us universe.

Adventures of Superman is one of several books included in DC's line-wide revamp of the Superman franchise this year. Up till now, DC only revealed that the series will feature a rematch between Jon and Earth-3's Ultraman (a villain who's busy trying to murder the Supermen of the multiverse) and that Jon's powers are beginning to flare out of control. Now we know that Jon will be further tested by meeting a version of his father who was driven to become a despotic tyrant instead of a force for good.

This is an auspicious crossover, considering that series writer Tom Taylor also penned the bulk of DC's Injustice: Gods Among Us and Injustice 2 comics. Taylor has helped greatly flesh out a universe where Superman is driven mad by the deaths of his wife and unborn child. So what happens when he meets his son from another universe?

"Injustice for me is a very troubled time," Taylor told DC.com. "I had so much fun on that book. Obviously, I was on it for years. I think I was originally hired for fifteen chapters, and I wrote over 150. But there's a lot about Injustice that that rubs me up the wrong way. I don't believe Superman, no matter what happens to him, can become that person. I don't believe Wonder Woman becomes that person. So, for me, it's a really interesting Elseworld, and throwing Jon Kent as sort of that beacon of hope and in a way, quite an innocent character and a character who wants the best for the world, throwing him into that world where his father has become a dictator gives us so much to play with. I've been talking about this story to all my friends who will listen for months, long before we knew where we were going with this."

Taylor revealed that Jon will arrive in the Injustice universe during the period of Injustice 2: Year 5, meaning it takes place shortly before the events of the second game. He also noted that while Jon's encounters with the Injustice Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman will be key moments in the series, there's another character who's relationship to Jon becomes key.

"I guess the biggest one—and I wasn't going to give this away, but you know what, for anyone reading this I will—there is a different Damian Wayne in the Injustice world. Literally his best friend is essentially not on the side of the angels in this world. That is going to give us a very fun and entertaining dynamic and quite a tortured dynamic to play with."

Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent #1 is slated for release on March 17, 2023.

Taylor is also hard at work on a new volume of Titans, one which repositions the team as the replacement for the Justice League after the events of Dark Crisis. Similarly, Marvel is about to introduce a new team of Avengers when that series relaunches later this year.

Jesse is a mild-mannered staff writer for IGN. Allow him to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket by following @jschedeen on Twitter.

Continue reading...