What's new

Bethesda Buys Deathloop Voice Actor a PS5 so He Can Play His Own Game

Bethesda has bought a PlayStation 5 for Deathloop's Jason Kelley after the voice actor told fans he didn't have a copy of the game or a console to experience it on.

Just as Deathloop was about to launch, a short promo clip on the game's official Twitter account featured Jason Kelley, the voice actor for protagonist Colt, saying: "I cannot wait for you guys to get your hands on this video game. If anyone can get me a copy and a PlayStation 5, I would appreciate it." This made it clear that Kelley didn't own a copy of Deathloop or a PlayStation 5 to play it on

Hey @Jasonkelley_JK I can probably help find you a PS5 so you can play it. You deserve a chance to play as Colt and enjoy your own amazing performance. :)

— Pete Hines (@DCDeacon) September 13, 2021

While a number of fans congratulated Kelley on his performance in the game, Pete Hines - Senior Vice President of Communications at Deathloop publisher Bethesda - appeared to offer a solution to the voice actor's console related issues. "I can probably help find you a PS5 so you can play it," Hines said in response to the tweet. "You deserve a chance to play as Colt and enjoy your own amazing performance." An interview with JumpCut PLAY has since revealed that Hines stayed true to his word. Kelley said, "I made an announcement, I was doing a bit and said that I didn't have one and it turns out, I was just notified by Bethesda that a PS5 was made available and is going to be shipped to me, with the game as well. So, I'll be playing the game... I'm super excited."

Some fans might find Bethesda's decision to give Kelley a PlayStation 5 slightly amusing, since this year's Microsoft acquisition of Bethesda means that an Xbox-exclusive studio has just bought someone a PS5.

While currently only available for PlayStation 5, Deathloop will likely make its way to Xbox sometime in the future. In July, a Deathloop trailer revealed that the exclusivity period for the game would end on September 14 2022. When it does release, many fans may be hoping that Deathloop comes to straight to Game Pass, which earlier this year saw a number of Bethesda-published games added to its collection.

For more on Deathloop, make sure to check out our dedicated wiki where you can find out information about the game's length as well as a number of beginner tips and tricks. Be sure to also check out our review of the game.

Jared Moore is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...